5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 Build - Very Detailed - Input Highly Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 302 Build - Very Detailed - Input Highly Appreciated

Do away with the TW heads, theyre too small for the intake. If you wanna go the TFS route you need to look at TFS-R heads (race only), or the HI-PORT heads.
+1, with doing away with the E cam it sux for carbs.
And the 750 will be fine if youre revving hi.
As far as cam choice is concerned you want as much duration as you can get, the more the merrier when it comes to making power.
-P.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

500HP is easily obtainable with the right combo. Been told that you can mix 1.7 and 1.6 roller rockers (know some Windsor drag motors are like that). If using the stock block, i would recommend the valley girdle and stud girdle for any stroker combination. Anything is better than nothing. One of the best combinations for a High HP stroker would be to get a Steel Crank (Not CAST STEEL), forged rods & Pistons. The steel crank is better than the cast crank but still wont break the bank. Having forged rods/pistons will then allow you to run boost/nitrous in the future. At 500 HP the stock block will be good for a little while and then your going to tear some stuff up. Look up World Products or Dart for an aftermarket 4bolt block. Or Call Ford Racing for thier new boss 302 block. Its beefier, you can run the same stuff as before but you have more room to bore it because the cylinder walls are thicker.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

please tell us what your desired application is. im gonna take a shot in the dark and say this thing isnt gonna see real high revs as much as you may think it will, and when it does, it will be in short bursts like right before a shift. big difference than someone holding it over 7k while going around a track.

i agree if you get the right cam then you dont need 1.7 rockers, a custom cam is best (if its gotten from a reputable source) but if you make your selection wisely you can do very well with a crane, comp, lunati, or isky cam.

based off the premise that the motor really wont see those high rpms, i'd tell you to stick with a 650 cfm carb. if you REALLY wanna go ***** out - get a double pumper. if your going to be driving this thing on the streets do youself a favor and grab a vac. secondaries carb. right now i have a Barry Grant Speed Demon 650 i'm looking to unload in exchange for a 625 Road Demon since i am actually downsizing my motor at the moment.

again, the revs...... that victor jr. is gonna kill ya on the bottom, grab yourself a RPM airgap and you will be a happy camper.

lastly, for the same money as MSD stuff, grab a Crane Hi-6 ignition box and even a crane distributor if you can - you'll thank me later.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Frook

Well this isn't going into a car. I am putting this engine into a V8 bike. It is EFI right now but due to appearance (more then anything else) I may wanna go carbed. But yeah, this is gonna be a 400-600hp V8 chopper cruiser. Sleeker then the boss-hoss.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

order MATCHING head / cam combo from www.camshaftinnovations.com
tell them you want a 500hp, 347ci shifting at 7000rpm running 10.5 compression

Done.....

Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You do realize that on a bike, even a big one, with that much power you'll never be able to use even half of it before the bike wheelies out of control? Why spend all that money on an engine that you'll never get your money out of?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

You do realize that on a bike, even a big one, with that much power you'll never be able to use even half of it before the bike wheelies out of control? Why spend all that money on an engine that you'll never get your money out of?
no kidding. a bone stock 302 will be more then enough
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I used to work for a guy who built a cruiser, put the engine together himself off a V-twin crankcase, 134hp at the wheel or thereabouts n/a and it was WICKED fast! 158hp at the wheel with nitrous and he couldn't keep the front end on the ground. And it was a cruiser with a front rake, not some lightweight crotch rocket.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Frook

Well I really could do anything with this bike. Be it the stock 210hp or even a simple heads and cam upgrade. I know I won't be able to "use it", but then again, when has that been a suitable roadblock for engine building? And I am not insanely worried about the wheelie part. This bike is going to be like 10ft long....massive bike. As long as I keep steady and don't get too crazy, I think it'll be a exhilerating priject (even if I go real light on the mods).
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I just ordered my 347 cid stroker kit from The Mustang Depot off of Ebay tonight. I got the kit with the 5.315 rods. Forged pistons, rods and a cast crank. I allways heard that you would break the block before the crank anyhow. This is my first stroker. I got the kit for $799 and shipping was another $72. I'm sure if a guy would shop around he might would find a better deal, but I didn't want the kit with the 5.4 rods. I'm going to order a set of 190cc Aluminum Pro Comp heads tomorrow evening to go on top.

Quick Reply: 302 Build - Very Detailed - Input Highly Appreciated