5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine still pinging!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Engine still pinging!!!!!

ORIGINAL: 5.0HOBOMB

Wow, many suggestions, but that is good!!! I'll do the easy and cheap ones first, then I'll go high tech I guess, but there is one problem, I'm not all that good at engines, so I'll see what I can do by myself first. The old EGR valve did open,but not very easily. I pussed it open and close with a screwdriver, it was'nt to hard for me, but it sill had some pretty bad friction. Many people have told me it could be a vacuum leak, so That is my next check, but what exactly are the vaccum hoses. Are these all networked within the emissions system??? The car has 112k miles, so it's not that bad I guess. funny think is that the pinging tends to happen more in summer than in winter, so that adds another variable to the equation. How can I tell if the positioning sensor is not working as well, becuase I did think of that before. So do you guys think changing gaskets may fix the problem. Changing gaskets would be my last resource, but for now, positioning sensor, vaccuum hoses, and chip check it is.

thanks alot for you help!!!
The resaon it happens more in the summer is due to temerature. Honestly, if you're not sure about what you're doing, you should have a shop look at it.

Possibilities,
no vacuum signal to open the valve
position sensor not reading/working correctly
egr passages clogged
excessive carbon build up in the heads causing something called "quenching"
wrong heat range spark plugs

Maybe a few other things as well. It's early and my brain is tired (lol) and I'm gettin ready to head out to work. I'm sure there will be a few others chimming in w/ some ideas. But this is a good place to start.

G/L!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I've tried all I can think of, but my engine still pings under load and hard acceleration. I have a 95 mustang gt 5.0 liter engine. I got computer codes, and it gave me two codes (egr valve not openening, transmission speed checker malfunctioning) so I changed my EGR valve, it still pings. I checked my timing. The timing was lagged, so I put it back to 10 degrees, and engine still pings. I tried using 91 octane fuel but engine still pings. I cleaned the MAF, and changed spark pluges, and wiring and engine still pings. This is driving me nuts!!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions to what may be the problem?????
1.go to any chrysler/dodge dealership, get 2 cans of combustion chamber cleaner.

2. open the throttle body up, car off, spray the whole can in the upper intake.
remove all spark plugs, spray in the cyclinders using the straw provided, untin empty- reinstall plugs.

3. wait 3 hours, it will start to foam and steam up gets hot, turning ALL carbon into a harmeless clearish liquid.

4. start the car, and rev all that black smoke out the pipes.

5. after your done, it leaves a coating inside, that prevent the carbon from coming back and sticking to things.

Their engineers specifically invented this and it has a Mopar patent. The 4.0 v-6 they have, are known for
horrible carbon buildup, causing them millions in warranty repair work.

This is industry strength and no strength of its kind can be found anywhere.

It is a very powerful carbon emulsifier, and harms nothing.

IF THEY TELL YOU ITS NOT FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC, OR REFUSE TO SELL IT TO YOU,
ASK A MECHANIC/LOT TECH THERE TO BUY IT FOR YOU OR BODY SHOP TECH.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

I've tried all I can think of, but my engine still pings under load and hard acceleration. I have a 95 mustang gt 5.0 liter engine. I got computer codes, and it gave me two codes (egr valve not openening, transmission speed checker malfunctioning) so I changed my EGR valve, it still pings. I checked my timing. The timing was lagged, so I put it back to 10 degrees, and engine still pings. I tried using 91 octane fuel but engine still pings. I cleaned the MAF, and changed spark pluges, and wiring and engine still pings. This is driving me nuts!!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions to what may be the problem?????
1.go to any chrysler/dodge dealership, get 2 cans of combustion chamber cleaner.

2. open the throttle body up, car off, spray the whole can in the upper intake.
remove all spark plugs, spray in the cyclinders using the straw provided, untin empty- reinstall plugs.

3. wait 3 hours, it will start to foam and steam up gets hot, turning ALL carbon into a harmeless clearish liquid.

4. start the car, and rev all that black smoke out the pipes.

5. after your done, it leaves a coating inside, that prevent the carbon from coming back and sticking to things.

Their engineers specifically invented this and it has a Mopar patent. The 4.0 v-6 they have, are known for
horrible carbon buildup, causing them millions in warranty repair work.

This is industry strength and no strength of its kind can be found anywhere.

It is a very powerful carbon emulsifier, and harms nothing.

IF THEY TELL YOU ITS NOT FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC, OR REFUSE TO SELL IT TO YOU,
ASK A MECHANIC/LOT TECH THERE TO BUY IT FOR YOU OR BODY SHOP TECH.

That's pretty cool.... Like Seafoam, but stronger, I guess?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

TIMING CHAIN
Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Coley2002GT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the Mopar Cleaner!!! I work at a Dodge and Jeep dealer as an assistant parts manager. We see alot of the 4.0 grand cherokees come in with spark knock and detonation because of the carbon on the valves. We usually run about 2 cans of it through the vehicle and then add some fuel system cleaner to the tank. Great product!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

have you checked your firing order?? make sure all the the wires are where there supposed to be... could have a wire in the wrong place making that 'ping' noise
Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

dude it would miss like crazy if that was the case
Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

sounds like a problem i just fixed...

for me it was the TFI, its on the dist. and controls spark. if u have a buddy w. a 5.0, talk him into letting u swap his dist into your car and trying it. thats what i did, and it drove me crazy... check out all the **** i looked at before i tried this

o2s- $60 a piece
fuel press-$50 guage
vac leak-$30-50 guage
map sensor-$50
timing-countless times- $40 timing light

im sure there is more. i did alot of road testing to, given differant conditions and such

does it do it in a certain rpm range? certain throttle position? if u have aim i can link u to a thread on a nother forum that goes thru all my shyt i did to fix it, and theres ALOT of great info in there and alota tests you can do to narrow it down.

look, i spent about $300 just to find out it was a $60 sensor(tfi)
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

wow dimebag, you got slammed for that TFI. they're about $28 here
Old 05-02-2007, 08:15 PM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

general motors top engine cleaner works geat to you can buy it in a spray or pour in can the pour in works geat for carbed cars pour it in the carb though never in the tanki am a gm parts counterman we use it alot looks just like that mopar stuff

Quick Reply: Engine still pinging!!!!!