5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
SpeedyWeber

Default RE: Clutch??

I have a Spec stage 1 clutch and I hate it................... I can smoke it too easily and it supposed to hold the power I'm making. I'm going with a Center Force, there's a reason they were so popular for so long.

Don't know your budget but consider getting a lighter aluminum flywheel. You'll love the throttle resonse and less rotational weight is easier on the engine internals, plus a few more HP to the ground helps the ET just a bit. If anyone tells you you'll lose low end power with one believe me, it is not that much if any at all and the benefits of extra top end power plus better throttle response out weigh any minimal loss. I have a Fidanza flywheel and it is one of the best upgrades I've done since rebuilding my motor.

If you want to try a KC clutch, I have a barely used one with pressure plate I'll let go cheap + shipping. When my motor was closer to stock I used it and I had no issues with it.

Another thing that should be replaced while in there that hasn't been mentioned is installing a steel bearing retainer. definately a worthwhile upgrade as insurance from wear and tear on the stock unit gicing out.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:50 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigdoug3022

allright thanks man when u bought the clutch wat did u have to get with it that wasnt included in the package?? srry for askin so many questions thanks a lot man i apprciate itt

it came with everything
Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpeedyWeber

I have a Spec stage 1 clutch and I hate it................... I can smoke it too easily and it supposed to hold the power I'm making. I'm going with a Center Force, there's a reason they were so popular for so long.

Don't know your budget but consider getting a lighter aluminum flywheel. You'll love the throttle resonse and less rotational weight is easier on the engine internals, plus a few more HP to the ground helps the ET just a bit. If anyone tells you you'll lose low end power with one believe me, it is not that much if any at all and the benefits of extra top end power plus better throttle response out weigh any minimal loss. I have a Fidanza flywheel and it is one of the best upgrades I've done since rebuilding my motor.

If you want to try a KC clutch, I have a barely used one with pressure plate I'll let go cheap + shipping. When my motor was closer to stock I used it and I had no issues with it.

Another thing that should be replaced while in there that hasn't been mentioned is installing a steel bearing retainer. definately a worthwhile upgrade as insurance from wear and tear on the stock unit gicing out.
I know more than a handful of people that use SPEC clutches without a problem, yours must be one of the weird ones
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 AM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

i just got the king cobra and i love it! i got a new flywheel and pilot bearing too. my car may as well be stock so i didn't need anything more than the kc but to me it feels awesome.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 AM
five.slow

ORIGINAL: SpeedyWeber

I agree. I put in a Spec stage 1 and am not very happy with it. If i could go back in time I would spend the extra money on a stage 2 or centerforce.

I had the KC prior to this and it was alright... nothin to brag about.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:46 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i had a KC and it sucked killed it in 3000 miles.. i now have 15-20000 miles on a LMC centerforce and it still has the cross hatch marks on it (those marks usualy wear off in 1-3000 miles