5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Timing set question...for those of you who've installed a cam before!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Timing set question...for those of you who've installed a cam before!

see now the picture he posted of that thing installed doesnt match the picture on the S.A. Gear box.... which has a trick flow sticker on it.

wtf is going on here? i have a chain/gears that came outta a previous 302 i had, probably only 5k miles on it when i took the motor out. i figure its already stretched and it proved itself by not breaking before so i'll bolt 'er up and see how snug it is. if its sloppy, i have my eye on a cloyes hex-adjust - but what kinda chain is that in those pics of the short block? how much was it?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Timing set question...for those of you who've installed a cam before!

I used the original thrust plate and bolts...everything fit fine

Don't forget a Cam dowel pin! I had to stop everything for that...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

see now the picture he posted of that thing installed doesnt match the picture on the S.A. Gear box.... which has a trick flow sticker on it.

wtf is going on here? i have a chain/gears that came outta a previous 302 i had, probably only 5k miles on it when i took the motor out. i figure its already stretched and it proved itself by not breaking before so i'll bolt 'er up and see how snug it is. if its sloppy, i have my eye on a cloyes hex-adjust - but what kinda chain is that in those pics of the short block? how much was it?
Good point, it does not match the picture

But it is the same box that mine came in...with a TrickFlow sticker.

Here it is at Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=TFS-51478520
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

so its really a S.A. Gear chain though? hell i have never even heard of them until recently when i saw em on ebay[&:]

similar model, same company - half the price
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/True-...QQcmdZViewItem

but it looks more like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-FO...QQcmdZViewItem

btw, most of these companies are all buying from the same place and reboxing their stuff. i think i'll stick with cloyes and KNOW its a good chain - a flashy gear means nuttin
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I have been noticing that companies throwing thier name on products that they do not manufacture is a very common thing...

For instance, Summit Racing Fuel Pumps...BBK Fuel Pumps...they are all Walbro Fuel Pumps...

I think Bostich makes all the Oxygen Sensors...

It is a good way to get you name out there, but in the end...if you pay that extra dollar to buy that BBK over Summit...you are just paying for the name.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the advice guys, he's shipping the correct one out in the AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Brady I had the same timing set, well the one you were supposed to get. What I did was use the lower crank sprocket that came in the kit and the stock cam sproket so I didn't have to machine the thrust plate. You could machine the thrust plate yourself with a drill. Did you're kit come with new screws? It should have.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

Brady I had the same timing set, well the one you were supposed to get. What I did was use the lower crank sprocket that came in the kit and the stock cam sproket so I didn't have to machine the thrust plate. You could machine the thrust plate yourself with a drill. Did you're kit come with new screws? It should have.
Yeah, I've got new screws. I'll see how it goes. Did you try using the trick flow upper sprocket?

9 days!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I tried using it without drilling the thrust plate and the torington bearing rested on the screws. So I took the stock sprocket and just installed it on the cam.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Sweet, thanks!

Quick Reply: Timing set question...for those of you who've installed a cam before!