5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?

next time try autozone who who sells them for 8.95 and no shipping chargesI can only report on my exper. with thier stat and over 20 years in using them not 1 problem. I'm sure one or a few could be bad like any other product.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?

yeah I agree, I bought it because you said they were great, stuff happens, thats the way it goes.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Check "Thermostatically Speaking".....

Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

WOW! I didn't know I asked such a loaded question.

I Just did flush and fill, hoses and stat tothe wifes sport trac because it was running hot and irratic trans and had all original hoses and stat in it. It solved the problems. runs great now.

the guy at advance parts said computer showed a 195 and a 180 I went with the 195 because that is what it called for.( It was only stamped 190???????) I did not put it in a pot of water to test it

when I bought my stang the guy gave me all new ford racing hoses and I was going to flush and fill to hopefully prevent having to do a heater core any time soon. and figured that once again advance would offer me a temp choice. so I asked if there would be a benefit to cooler running.

I think I'll stick with a 195.

Thanks for all the input
Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

T-stats wont open in a pot of water. They operate off of pressure. It is a spring valve. I would have like to have seen that though.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:08 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

T-stats wont open in a pot of water. They operate off of pressure. It is a spring valve. I would have like to have seen that though.
sorry man but thats so wrong.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

sorry man but thats so wrong.
X2.....and they do open in boiling water.....
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

They open when the coolant has reached the t-stat temperature, yes it has a spring but the spring contracts and opens the t-stat valve when it reaches it'stemperature. As for the performance and fuel mileage gains. Well it made a huge difference in cooling, there was a power gain, and I'm getting way better fuel mileage after going from a 195 to a 180 degree thermostat.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
scooterstang
2nd Gear Member

i just replaced the t-stat in my 88. dang those bolts suck without ratchet wrenches.

anyway, i put in a 180 fail safe t-stat in. Has anyone ever used one, i believe it's made by motorad
Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

About a year ago I remember reading several current SAE papers proclaiming not only better emissions wtih higher coolant temps, but also more power.

I found this interesting, because I had been arguing that this was 'theoretically' possible for a while...

In fact one paper had separated the block coolant from the head coolant.
Head coolant was kept pretty low, and the block coolant was like 250F (maybe higher?)

By keeping the heads cool, they stopped detonation.
By keeping the bores hot, they improved burn characteristics...

Personally, I will keep running a 190-195F stat. If I could find a up to a 210F stat I would jump all over it!

Just my opinion though...
jason

Quick Reply: how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?