5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: electric fan?

ok then go to www.jegs.com and its part number778-67015
Old 12-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

fans from a LS1 or LT1 fbody work great. i got Lt1 fans in my car and i installed LS1 fans in my buddys 87
Old 12-12-2004, 01:41 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

my fan is out of a 84 camaro, i had to make custom brackets.... works just fine... i went to kregans automotive and bought a adujustable thermostat.... it was only 15 bucks, very worth it, then i went to radio shack and bought a 30amp 12v relay for 5 bucks and hooked it up so my fan comes on when key is on and engine is warm enough, works just fine for me, i used to use a manual switch when i first got my car, i forgot to turn it on a few times and got it pretty hot... 15 bucks is well worth it, its a great setup
Old 12-12-2004, 03:41 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

should i ask for the switch too? should i install the termostat and the switch or just the switch? how do these install? thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 04:44 AM
teamtech
1st Gear Member

so after you install an electric fan, what do you do with the old pully? take it off and re route the belt? now im interested in getting one! would be nice so that when its cold out i can warm my car up quicker, then flick the fan on....can you have it go on a thermostat but override it when you want to?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hm, this was useful, i was actually going to the junkyard this monday to see if there is a ford Contour or Taurus I can take the fan from. The double fan they have work pretty well for my friend, but I want to know, how easy is it to hook up to work? Is there some kind of auto on-off switch or does it simply come on when I start my car and shut off when my car stops?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:41 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teamtech

so after you install an electric fan, what do you do with the old pully? take it off and re route the belt? now im interested in getting one! would be nice so that when its cold out i can warm my car up quicker, then flick the fan on....can you have it go on a thermostat but override it when you want to?
you cannot remove the pulley as this is what drives the water pump. just remove the original fan and reinstall the pulley back onto the water pump and check to make sure the bolts aren't too long where they will hit the water pump housing without the fan on there. you may need to cut the bolts off some or get some shorter bolts so they don't hit.

ORIGINAL: bobby

should i ask for the switch too? should i install the termostat and the switch or just the switch? how do these install? thanks
when you get the fan, it comes with instructions and a wiring harness and relay to install it with but it doesn't come with a switch. they tell you what type of switch you need if you want one and show you how to wire it, you just need to go to radio shack or an auto parts store and get the switch you want and install it somewhere inside the dash area where you can reach it easily. just make sure to get the proper amp rated switch and wire gauge required to install it so it don't overheat and burn up the switch and start a fire.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:04 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

I have a cooling fan out of a 2001 Volvo S80 in my car.Im still working on setting it up with the temp controls.For now I use a toggle switch for when I need it.The fan was easy to find.There is a recall on the fans for the module going bad.Remove the module and the fan works perfect.The module controls low,med,high.Just remove the module and a you have a good fan.The Volvo dealers doing the recall throw the fan in the dumpster.So free fans if anyone lives near a Volvo dealer.I got the overflow bottle installed on mine and looks almost factory.Check out the pic.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:54 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

mustang8719, that setup looks wayyyyyy better then mine... mine looks like crap but does work LOL..... who would want a manual switch tho? radio shack has a relay you could use, you hook it up to the battery, then to the fan, then to a ground and to any wire that will turn on with the key, that way you dont even have to worry about forgetin it.. this would only be useful if you had a thermostat to turn fans on at certin temp tho... witch costed me 15 bucks and took 5 minuts to instal... well worth everything... i forgot to turn my switch on a few times and got er pretty hot
Old 12-12-2004, 06:59 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

hey mustang8719 where did you pick that fan up from? and for how much?

Quick Reply: electric fan?