5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:15 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default electric fan?

hey, i was going to ask for an electric fan for christmas. this one form summit: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...ch&Ntt=FLX-175

will this work good on a daily driver? my friend was saying that they will overheat your engine because the shut off while idling? or is there another good brand to go for? i dont care how much $$$ i just want to get a good one. thanks!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:43 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: electric fan?

black magic is a good brand, and it wont overheat because it has a built in thermostat, so it will basicly only come on while idling, coz going down the road there is no use for the fan... that one on summit seems a lil high to me tho... try ebay, they got the same setup for half price, or around there
Old 12-11-2004, 07:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I've got the Flexilite fan on my Stang and it works just fine for me at the track. just make sure you wire it in correctly and put a switch on it so it doesn't run unless the ignition key if ON, this keeps it from running down the battery running with the engine off. the thermostat that comes with it is adjustable so you have to experiment around some to find the best setting for it and you will notice the battery voltage drop a bit at idle as it pulls 13 amps when on, but this in normal and once you're above idle, you won't see it anymore.
I've never used an electric fan on the street so I can't tell you about any possible problems with one on the street but lots of guys have them and I don't recall hearing any complaints from them about the electric fans they have.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:30 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

Mine works fine on the street, but it doesn't have a thermostat, just a switch in the car to turn it on and off.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fast83gt

Mine works fine on the street, but it doesn't have a thermostat, just a switch in the car to turn it on and off.
you really should get a thermstat switch for it as you don't need it to run all the time, once the car is up to about 35 mph the airflow through the radiator is enough to cool it off without the fan running and you'll save some wear and tear on the alternator and maybe get a bit more gas mileage out of it too.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:23 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

I plan on doing that when I put the new engine in. I do turn the fan off when I'm going fast enough.
I have forgotten to turn it back on before and had it start getting a little hot on me.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:23 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

OH really! i didnt kdnt need know you didnt need it when cruising! so will i have to order a switch too then? if soo you have a link from Summit? thnks a lot!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:33 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

I'm running an electric fan from a V-6 taurus and that works fine for me. It keeps my 351w cool. I had to wire a heavy duty relay for it though but that was no biggie.
The V-6 taurus fans pull a lot of air.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...zzXsm74LAp0%3D what about this one? $125 with a thermostat
Old 12-11-2004, 10:03 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

link doesnt wokr, just says your parts cart contains no parts or somethin

Quick Reply: electric fan?