5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How does this combo sound???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Default RE: How does this combo sound???

ORIGINAL: Jibaro

ORIGINAL: greenstreak9205

personally i wouldn't waste my time with gt-40's in general unless they were really cheap, but on a 347 its prolly not the best choice in anybody's eyes
A 347 is a good stroker. The burning oil issue( the reason why most people say is bad) is due to bad engine assembly. This combo is superior to a 331 because it's more efficient due to it's longer rod.
The reason why we install bigger heads and valves and super chargers/turbos and the likes is to cram more air into an engine. Therefore making it more efficient.
The combo you are planning is a good street warrior, the only thing I would due is get a custom grind for it. The heads (GT40P) are great when you get them ported by a pro (remember the port job is only good as the guy who does the job) and Thumper is one of the top guy's in the industry. I have seen his work and is second to none.
Just my 2cents.[8D]
I do not mean to burst your bubble, But this is not true! The oil burning issue was from back in the day when the 347 came out in the mid 90's. The main problem was the rod/piston combo. The oil ring land/rings were in the pin bore....compression height for the 5.4 rod length. This produced extra blow by and consumption. These days we run a 5.315 rod to keep the oil ring out of the pin bore. We do run a 5.4 rod with the 331. Both the 331 and 347 are great combos. I do prefer the 331 for guys that like rpm. The rod ratio on the 331 is 1.66 and the 347 is 1.56 with the 5.315 rod. Just trying to help clear things up.

Casey
Old 05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

personally i wouldn't waste my time with gt-40's in general unless they were really cheap, but on a 347 its prolly not the best choice in anybody's eyes
A 347 is a good stroker. The burning oil issue( the reason why most people say is bad) is due to bad engine assembly. This combo is superior to a 331 because it's more efficient due to it's longer rod.
The reason why we install bigger heads and valves and super chargers/turbos and the likes is to cram more air into an engine. Therefore making it more efficient.
The combo you are planning is a good street warrior, the only thing I would due is get a custom grind for it. The heads (GT40P) are great when you get them ported by a pro (remember the port job is only good as the guy who does the job) and Thumper is one of the top guy's in the industry. I have seen his work and is second to none.
Just my 2cents.[8D]

please don't post about what you don't know

Old 05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Jibaro

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com

Just my 2cents.[8D]
I do not mean to burst your bubble, But this is not true! The oil burning issue was from back in the day when the 347 came out in the mid 90's. The main problem was the rod/piston combo. The oil ring land/rings were in the pin bore....compression height for the 5.4 rod length. This produced extra blow by and consumption. These days we run a 5.315 rod to keep the oil ring out of the pin bore. We do run a 5.4 rod with the 331. Both the 331 and 347 are great combos. I do prefer the 331 for guys that like rpm. The rod ratio on the 331 is 1.66 and the 347 is 1.56 with the 5.315 rod. Just trying to help clear things up.

Casey
A 5.315 347 uses the same piston as a 331.It simply comes back to the skill level and not many people are willing to admit that they know less than they think they know. And speaking of R:S why does it almost always apply to the 331 v 347 debate? A 408 has a R:S of 1.5625 and a 418 is 1.5122.
This is easy . Off set pins.
Once the stroke has been decided [and in your example it is 3.4] the next biggest item is piston design. The piston used in a 5.400 rod 347 is a better design than a 5.315 rod 347. The 5.315 rod and piston 347 is a compromise to allow those with no experience to build a 347. It also stops the discussion on the rail supports at that point. But THEN the nay-sayers jump to R:S ratio. That is absolutely retarded.

Just wait until the 3.5 stroke, 5.4 rod 357's hit. I am quite sure the crying will be heard everywhere. Already people are posting on other boards asking if the "10 cid are *really* worth it". Its more than just 10 cid. Far more but the new breed of racer wants a number. If they physically cannot attach a number to something, then it must not be worth it.

What is a drag race? It is a measure of how quick I can get from point "A" to point "B". That is acceleration. If anyone wants to argue that point, then let's go. If all you want is power, then race a 100# crank, with a 7" rod, a 4# piston, and 20# of boost. Its called a diesel. LOADS of tq and no engine acceleration.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Some of your statments are confusing. We can all go back and worth with this discussion, thats for sure! There are tons of different combos that can be put together. Small rod ratios are not always a bad thing. Look at IHRA mountain motors. Allot of these run in the 1.3s For a street /daily driver, I personally prefer to have the longest rod / rod ratio for longevity/durability.

Casey
Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Jibaro

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com

Some of your statments are confusing. We can all go back and worth with this discussion, thats for sure! There are tons of different combos that can be put together. Small rod ratios are not always a bad thing. Look at IHRA mountain motors. Allot of these run in the 1.3s For a street /daily driver, I personally prefer to have the longest rod / rod ratio for longevity/durability.

Casey

[8D]
I agreed with you, we could spend hours of great discussion on this matter. I just boils down to pref.. I personally know of a few 347's with over 100k miles and going strong and the same could be stated for the 331. But I do stand by that oil burning is a thing of the past(if you know what you are doing).
Old 05-04-2007, 05:19 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

the reason that those heads are so cheap is because they really are cheap (this is only what i've heard) i guess their castings are really rough, not very consistant, and the material is kinda crappy. if you plan on buying a set and then have them ported then the casting in the ports shouldn't matter much but from what i've heard (as i will admit that i have never used them myself) its just not a good quality head. just spend a few extra bucks and get a good set. jmo
Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 PM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

The gt-40 iron heads will be fine as long as you have them ported nicely with the lower intake to match. Also i wouldnt use the TFS cam, its worth the extra money to have a custom grind.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:00 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

i agree that gt-40 heads are ok. but why waste the time and money on them for a 347. most people compare ported gt-40's to a stock afr 165 set. sure the numbers show that they flow more but thats on a 302. a 347 needs more air. comparing a bolt on 302 and a built 347 is almost like comparing a cathloc school girl and a prostitute, their needs are different and one can take in more than the other.