5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

UPR k-member/coilover install pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: UPR k-member/coilover install pics!

Here is what you need.

2 smaller jackstands
2 larger jackstands
2 jacks (1 small and 1 big or 2 big)
An assortment of sockets from 1/2 and 3/4 drive
Adjustable wrench
Impact wrench or a breaker bar (bolts that hold kmember and shocks are a pain)
Drip pan to catch power steering fluid and brake fluid

You can reuse these parts.
A-Arm bolts and nut
K-member bolts
All your spindles, brakes, rotors (If staying with the 4 lug setup you already had)
sway bar (if you want it)
Steering rack (if reusing power steering. Im opting for a manual rack)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Thanks man. By the way, that install of yours looks real nice. You should have a pretty sweet car by the time your done.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hawk

Thanks man. By the way, that install of yours looks real nice. You should have a pretty sweet car by the time your done.
Thanks i really appreciate it!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Nick,

Just wondering how that kmember is working out for you? Also wondering how the adjustments on the coil over springs are working out since they don't appear to use spanner wrenches?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

thier quality has gotten better and good to see you using a K/N oil filter
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

i am in the middle of this myself, i took the 4 cyl engine and k -memerb out since the engine had to come out anyways. i dont know which one i have, but its much much lighter than the 4cyl stcok (4cyl stock k member is lighter than the 8 cyl) so i know i saved tons of weight also, and i have the spring perches so i am going to keep the 4 cyl springs up from.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Looks great man.

Quick question though, I have the same coil overs and caster camber plates. I have that blue piece you have on top of the caster camber plate underneath of it. I bought the coil overs used and they didn't come with directions. Did I install it wrong? Also did you have the spacer that came with the caster camber plates under the blue piece?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

I didnt have to "cut" anything. What i did was unbolted the factor c/c plates and dropped the shocks down. Then i had to remove a bolt in the engine compartment that held a power steering line. Once i removed the lines from the power steering unit, i unbolted the 8 bolts holding the kmember on. I placed a jack under the oil pan to hold the engine up and then i had a smaller jack to hold one A-arm up while i unbolted the other side. then reversed it until i could safely lower it. Be careful not to hit the jack or the engine could fall! Then i started taking parts off the kmember while it was out. Good thing is thatyou can use all the bolts.I still have to purchase

1. brake hoses for an 87-93
2. manual steering rack
3. 5 lug rotors (mark VII)

As far as weight savings. Im SURE i lost 70lbs. I could barely drag the old kmember out from underneath the car and the UPR on i couldve bolted the Aarms and still picked it up with one hand.
in a mag i remember then sayin something like an 86lb lose just with the k memeber kit so id say u actually lost more than 70.... which never hurts... and its off hte front it so thats hella good
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

looks great, have a question though. why are you going with the 87-93 spindles and lincoln rotors? your gonna limit your wheel choices. go with sn-95 spindles and rotors.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

Looks great man.

Quick question though, I have the same coil overs and caster camber plates. I have that blue piece you have on top of the caster camber plate underneath of it. I bought the coil overs used and they didn't come with directions. Did I install it wrong? Also did you have the spacer that came with the caster camber plates under the blue piece?
I was just going to ask that. I just did a full front suspension swap with a UPR coil over kit and Im about 99% positive that the blue piece with the bearings are supposed to go on the bottom... atleast thats how I have mine seutp.

Quick Reply: UPR k-member/coilover install pics!