5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

VALVE COVER BREATHERS WITH BLOWER

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default VALVE COVER BREATHERS WITH BLOWER

Anyone help a beaten down and frustrated 5.0brother out...

I am running Trick Flow Valve Covers and You Can Not run baffles with them and roller rockers....

Problem I am having is way too much crankcase pressure and oil blowby...

Current Set UP(borrowed from Samseed101)

NO PCV
Two closed breathers with Nipples...then I am running 5/8 heater hose from the breather towards the back of the car...problem is they are getting clogged with oil.

Trick Flow told me to run two open K&N breathers and zip tie rags around them to catch the oil..

Any better suggestions...

Thanks

Special Thanks to Samseed and PRO50SC...for their prior help and suggestions...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: VALVE COVER BREATHERS WITH BLOWER

Their other suggestion was a Crankcase Evacuation System..
Old 05-07-2007, 06:56 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

The only thing killing you right now is the lack of baffles. Those make such a huge difference. And that does make it harder to reach a solution.

How about this... stick with the closed breathers like you have now, but upgrade them slightly. Your valve covers may not have baffles, but you can buy the push-in style breathers (like you have now) that are actually baffled themselves. And then they have filters inside of them that are washable.

If you got those, the baffles would help some. And whatever else gets by would (in theory) get caught by the washable filters.

I would suggest installing an oil/air seperator on the lines ot trap the oil, but you would have to find one with a large enough inlet/outlet so that it would not restrict airflow. Have you seen those before? I have an old one in teh back of my truck that I can take a pic of if you want. I also have a picture of one that's a bit more "inventive" but looks pretty cool, lol.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Here's a pic of a standard seperator. Just install it as close to the breather cap as you can (withuot making it look ugly.) As you can see, the oil drops to the bottom and the air can freely flow. There's a valve at the bottom that lets you drain the oil.

And here's one someone made themselves that works just as good. Except there's no valve at the bottom.

Either one of those will catch oil and keep it from clogging your lines.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

The oil does not even seem like it is getting past the breather anymore...basically the ones I have are baffled and they have the foam filter inside...problem is the foam filter is all saturated with oil now...

Are the breathers you are talking about...two piece or somehthing..ie they screw apart....

I have an oil/separator....that was one of my 11 different combos..but the oil was not reaching it so I took it off....
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Wow, you've gone through quite a few setups! LoL.

Yeah, they do have breathers that come apart so you can clean the filter inside. But if it's filling up entirely too fast, then that's going to be too much work for you.

Just curious...are you still using the PCV valve to vent too or did you just completely block it off on the lower intake and are you just using the two valve covers?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Yes I blocked off the PCV...

I might try this set up I just found..they weld on the valve covers and have baffles inside the breather tubes

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_39184_-1
Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Those may work, but damn they are pricey! Well, compared to the standard breathers.

Just for the hell of it, use the PCV to vent as well. Instead of capping it off completely, I just did the same thing that I did with the valve cover breathers... just let it vent.

Thosebreathers you found may work. But if you're going to get something that sticks up that much, why not just bite the bullet and get a pair of taller valve covers that have the baffles? That would solve the problem right there. Summit has a pair of tall chrome valve covers with baffles for about $25. They work great on my setup.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

I wish I could get tall valve covers...wont fit under my Holley Intake...I already have a 2 inch spacer and it barely clears my 3 inch cowl...

How would I vent the PCV...just hook a line to it coming from the rear of the intake?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Damn.. a 2 inch spacer! Wow!

Yup, to vent the PCV just put in a nice fresh grommet and a new PCV valve. Then just attach the 5/8 hose to it and run it wherever. Who knows...maybe that will relieve just enough pressure so that it won't spray quite as much out of the valve cover breathers.

Quick Reply: VALVE COVER BREATHERS WITH BLOWER