5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

which blower is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: which blower is best?

i am definatly wanting to keep it street plus i take 2hr drive over the weekend to my dads housed where many ppl try to race me, as of right now traction isnt an issue unless im on water or gravel...and i would liek to keep it that way.

so if i follow the Procharger would be best for me?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

This is all personal preference (again) but I love my Procharger. I have also seen and driven a Mustang with a paxton and that was good too. Basically, if you are going centri (which I think you'll be happier with) then get a Procharger, Vortech, or Paxton. You really can't go wrong with those.

The Procharger is self contained (has it's own oil supply) and uses a blow through MAF. The Paxtons and Vortechs are draw through and use the engine's oil supply.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

the most important question here is..what is your current set-up?..stock? modded but stock block? or are you all out?..

this where i'll start first...pro chargers lb for lb are just nasty...as well as vortech...kb....they are what they are <i'm not too much of a fan of them.so i won't comment and be misguiding...

personally..build a bad *** street motor,and put a 150 shot on it...hell i still get 20mpg and hand a plenty *** to the bow-tie unfreindlies
Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM
ErikSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I run a kenne bell, if you want torque instantly, this is the way to go. I have a 347 stroker with kenne bell on top and from 1 light to the next(if your a street racer), not much will touch you. I make full boost(18psi, built engine) at 2,400 rpms. Downside to that is my top end doesnt have the power a centri/ turbo motor would have. Its a tose up between blowers, pick 1 and tell us what YOU think
Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

This is all personal preference (again) but I love my Procharger. I have also seen and driven a Mustang with a paxton and that was good too. Basically, if you are going centri (which I think you'll be happier with) then get a Procharger, Vortech, or Paxton. You really can't go wrong with those.

The Procharger is self contained (has it's own oil supply) and uses a blow through MAF. The Paxtons and Vortechs are draw through and use the engine's oil supply.
I wish mine was self contained.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cassidymustang
I wish mine was self contained.
No you don't Every time I have to change the oil, I have to loosen the serpentine belt, remove two pullies to get to some bolts, remove the head unit, then drain it.

The drain plug is on the bottom and due to teh way it sits, I haven't found any other way to actually drain it. It's a pain in the ***, but then again you only have to do it every 6000 miles. So basically once every spring when it comes out of storage.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

Wow that does kinda suck? sorry about that. I really dont even drive mine 3000 a year but i still change my oil before i put it up in the winter.

yeah but it was a huge pain in the *** when i first put it(s/c) on and had to put a hole in my oil tank while it was still on the car (wanted to beat the car with a hammer at this point) and then thread it, put the fitting in and then put silicone on there to make sure it didnt leak.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I still like the self contained unit though, even though it can be a pain in the ***. But I like that little bit of extra safety. I know that there shouldn't be debris or anything in the oil and the filters should catch it. But i feel a little safer knowing that if something does happen or slip through, I don't have to worry about losing the blower and the engine at the same time.

Next time I take it off, I will probably see if i can drill a hole through teh car underneath it that will give me access to the drain plug. Can't guarantee that it will work but it's worth a shot.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

I still like the self contained unit though, even though it can be a pain in the ***. But I like that little bit of extra safety. I know that there shouldn't be debris or anything in the oil and the filters should catch it. But i feel a little safer knowing that if something does happen or slip through, I don't have to worry about losing the blower and the engine at the same time.

Next time I take it off, I will probably see if i can drill a hole through teh car underneath it that will give me access to the drain plug. Can't guarantee that it will work but it's worth a shot.
[sm=exactly.gif]. but thats what i could afford at the time and nothing so far, so hopefully it will stay that way. I couldnt imagine not having it, too much fun
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

how much do you want to spend is the question

Quick Reply: which blower is best?