5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

which blower is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

Default which blower is best?

i know that personal preferance is big in chosing a blower but i want some advice on which is better for performance and basic maintance, a positive displacement blower or a centrifugal one
Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: which blower is best?

You're going to get nothing but personal opinions here. It all depends on what you want. About the only thing that you will see everyone here agree upon is this... Don't buy a powerdyne.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

You're going to get nothing but personal opinions here. It all depends on what you want. About the only thing that you will see everyone here agree upon is this... Don't buy a powerdyne.
True.

+1^ It really depends on what your looking for
Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

best blower is a turbo
Old 05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

lol i know turbos are good but on a domestic i like the whine of a blower, which blower is best for what?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

KB is great for down low hp. youll hit max boost before 3000rpms and they make great torque

a centrifical starts making boost at about 3000rpms and makes more boost the higher you spin the motor (within reason)

i used to think the same thing about the whole muscle cars should have sc thing, but the whine is so annoying after a while. cant wait till i go turbo

DONT BUY POWERDYNE AND YOULL BE HAPPY!!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Well if you get a KB, you'll have good low end HP and TQ that pulls strong throughout the range. But they heat up rather easily and they take some time to cool down. As they get wrmer and warmer, they become less and less efficient. They have more of a whine sound that isn't as apparant at idle but is quite noticable at higher RPMs.

A centri like a Procharger or Vortect usualyl builds boost at 3000 RPM or so and is more efficient. Personally, I think it's better for street driving, especially if you have traction issues and are worried about spinning the tires all day long. They have more of a whistle sound that is very easy to hear at idle.

I have a Procharger supercharger. Click on the link below the pic of my car in my sig and you can hear what it sounds like at idle. Most centris will sound the same.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

listen to samseed101. hes got the rite idea.
if your trying to stay street i would say centri all the way. its just more efficient no matter how you look at it

Old 05-08-2007, 02:56 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Well if you get a KB, you'll have good low end HP and TQ that pulls strong throughout the range. But they heat up rather easily and they take some time to cool down. As they get wrmer and warmer, they become less and less efficient. They have more of a whine sound that isn't as apparant at idle but is quite noticable at higher RPMs.

A centri like a Procharger or Vortect usualyl builds boost at 3000 RPM or so and is more efficient. Personally, I think it's better for street driving, especially if you have traction issues and are worried about spinning the tires all day long. They have more of a whistle sound that is very easy to hear at idle.

I have a Procharger supercharger. Click on the link below the pic of my car in my sig and you can hear what it sounds like at idle. Most centris will sound the same.
+10,000 If you have traction issues alreadyand you put a positive discplacement on, you're going to have even worse traction issues
Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Ehhh. I hate these threads, always a matter of opinion. I have only had experience with Centri's and to that end only Vortech. Upside, monster HP at high rpms, naturally cooler charge air due to pressure drop, huge range of options and tons of people who have experience with them. Downside, produce best power at high rpm range...lol, The whine never bothered me, but I am strange.
The good thing about K/B's or Whipples, etc. is that for everyday driving within reasonable rpm ranges they are not terribly noticeable, they do produce tons of heat and can be bought intercooled also, do not require really radical cam and as a rule last quite a while, although they are conducive to bearing issues due to often excessive loads on the "snout" which is why they are being designed "forward" to shorten the nose. Hell I want to possibly build a K/B car this time, they are running 9.0's at the track here with them all day.

Quick Reply: which blower is best?