5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

couple 331 stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:11 PM
97 GSR

Default couple 331 stroker questions

I was thinkin' to get a good condition early nineties foxbody and rebuildin' the engine w/a 331, I am in need of knowledge...

1.how much for the rebuild and stroker kit all together?
2.how much hp and tq with kit?No other mods
3.is the redline upped any?
4.reliable?
5.can the 5spd handle the extra power?
6.any additional oppinions welcome, still searchin' for a plan before i buy stang
Old 12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: couple 331 stroker questions

check out www.coasthigh.com or www.dssracing.com for info on the 331 stroker kits and HP they can make.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 PM
97 GSR

Thanks, at least someone replied...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:45 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

1. stroker kits are cheaper than longblocks and some shortblocks. rebuilding is time consuming and sometimes should be left to professionals. if you can do it, good. if not dont pay anyone to rebuild it, just buy one premade at DSSracing.com or coasthigh.com.

2. a 331 with high compression pistons should be making 330 RWHP. low compression maybe 300 RWHP.

3. redline is upped if you rebuild it with stronger components all around. better valves, rockers etc... those take a factor in redline.

4. any engine is reliable IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT.

5. 5 speeds could probably handle it if you dont run slicks. if you do you might break something.

6. 331 strokers are a great motor. i will be buying a shortblock this upcoming year. from DSSracing.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you really confuse me with your replys. stroker kits are cheaper then long blocks and soem short blocks. well a stroker is a short block. with a stroker you get crank and rods. only thing left is pistons and a block. so that there crank,pistons,rods, bearings and block is yoru short block. What is wrong with rebuilding your motor? nothing is wrong with it, buying a motor off a company will sometimes cost more then assmembly of a rebuilt motor. you cant garrenty any numbers without a properly/planned out motor. you can have a 331 making only 300hp tops. all factors depends on what planing you did. I know of a 331 with normal 9.1 cr that makes around 500 rwhp. RPM range depends on your H/I/C not Cubic Inches. I know of a 289 that spins 9500 rpms but also is 14.1 cr. you can run slicks on a 5 speed even a T5. just dont miss a gear. yes a 331 is a good motor but depends on how it was assembled. a poorly assembled motor wont last. if you got a frest 302 and threw in a crank and rods you would have a 327. when they sell you a 331 its aready a 306 so its nothing more then a rebuilt motor. Hell sometimes you may even get a 333 or 335 depending on clean up of the blocks bore
ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

1. stroker kits are cheaper than longblocks and some shortblocks. rebuilding is time consuming and sometimes should be left to professionals. if you can do it, good. if not dont pay anyone to rebuild it, just buy one premade at DSSracing.com or coasthigh.com.

2. a 331 with high compression pistons should be making 330 RWHP. low compression maybe 300 RWHP.

3. redline is upped if you rebuild it with stronger components all around. better valves, rockers etc... those take a factor in redline.

4. any engine is reliable IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT.

5. 5 speeds could probably handle it if you dont run slicks. if you do you might break something.

6. 331 strokers are a great motor. i will be buying a shortblock this upcoming year. from DSSracing.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

you really confuse me with your replys. stroker kits are cheaper then long blocks and soem short blocks. well a stroker is a short block. with a stroker you get crank and rods. only thing left is pistons and a block. so that there crank,pistons,rods, bearings and block is yoru short block. What is wrong with rebuilding your motor?

a stroker KIT not a SHORTBLOCK. get the two straight please before replying.

a kit comes with the needed components to install into a BORED and stroked block.

a SHORTBLOCK is a preassembled engine without heads and induction, just the lower half. so yes there is a difference between them both. if it was up to me i would just order a shortblock from a local company or a good online company. stroking and boring a stock block is OK as long as you dont pass 450-500 HP. but i am the type of person that might pass those numbers so its up to personal preference, do you want to pass 500 HP? if so dont use the stock block as a platform, if not than you can use the stock motor but have a professional rebuild it.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

you really confuse me with your replys. stroker kits are cheaper then long blocks and soem short blocks. well a stroker is a short block. with a stroker you get crank and rods. only thing left is pistons and a block. so that there crank,pistons,rods, bearings and block is yoru short block. What is wrong with rebuilding your motor?

a stroker KIT not a SHORTBLOCK. get the two straight please before replying.

a kit comes with the needed components to install into a BORED and stroked block.

a SHORTBLOCK is a preassembled engine without heads and induction, just the lower half. so yes there is a difference between them both. if it was up to me i would just order a shortblock from a local company or a good online company. stroking and boring a stock block is OK as long as you dont pass 450-500 HP. but i am the type of person that might pass those numbers so its up to personal preference, do you want to pass 500 HP? if so dont use the stock block as a platform, if not than you can use the stock motor but have a professional rebuild it.
a stroker refers to increasing the stroke to increase displacement. you dont need to bore it all the time. a short block doesnt coem with a cam. so like i stated pistons,crank,bearings, rods and block makes up the shortblock. a short block doesnt know if its a stroker or a standard stroke motor. a block isnt stroked!!!! stroking is when you throw a larger crank in it. also you can destroke a motor to let it spin at a higher rpm. so your telling me you plan on paying big money to go fast? a good block will cost a pretty penny 4500 for a block isnt feasible. you can hit 11s to 10s with 500 hp. many ppl use the stock production 302 based block everyday. its when they punish it over and over again thats when ti will have issues. you can make 600 hp on a stock production block just dont high rev it or abuse it over adn over again.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

its just personal preference like i said. its up to the person really and what the want. its all good though happy holidays
Old 12-16-2004, 02:08 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

hey ohsoquick please tell me thats a 331 with 500hp with a power adder not n/a rite because thats stupid to say. i no of a 302 that makes over 500hp too. WITH A FREAKIN SUPERCHARGER. no way a 331 is goin 500hp n/a
Old 12-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

yes power adder but why wouldnt a 331 make that much N/A? have enough money into a setup and you can get just about any number you wish. i know of a 289 making 450 ish but it also has 14.1 cr and 9500rpms it spins
ORIGINAL: 87mustang347

hey ohsoquick please tell me thats a 331 with 500hp with a power adder not n/a rite because thats stupid to say. i no of a 302 that makes over 500hp too. WITH A FREAKIN SUPERCHARGER. no way a 331 is goin 500hp n/a

Quick Reply: couple 331 stroker questions