5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

to adjust or not adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:31 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default to adjust or not adjust?

what would be better...the price diff. is not an issue... will adjustable arms be better then solid control arms (upper and lower)?

and would drag springs be alright for street use?

im looking at putting this suspension setup together when i get some money saved up.
upr or mm adjustable control arms -up and low
upr coil over
strange 10 way shocks
i got subframe connectors
drag radials

do yal think that stuff will work good together? suggestions very welcome!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: to adjust or not adjust?

coil over's are a good choice for road racing courses, but if your plans are more based on straight line speed, stay away from the coil overs.

also, you dont need adjustable control arms on both aspects. Either upper or lower are fine, you dont need both to be adjustable.
In most cases, upper adjustables are all you need, to keep correct pinion angles and good traction.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:36 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

If you know how to properly adjust your pinion angle, yes. That stuff should work well together. I'm not sure how the coil over/drag set up will go though. I don't know much about the coil over set ups though.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i dont kno how to adjust anything...all this stuff is a new goat rope to me...maby the non adjustable stuff would be better?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the non adjustable stuff will give you a performance boost, but you won't be able to tweak it to what you really want it to do. moreless, it will give you a decent all around performance, but it won't lean to either direction(ie: traction right away VS streetability).

If you plan to take this car to the track, and really want to dial in some good times, go with adjustable. If you just want the tires to stick at a red light, you will be fine with solid unadjustables.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I opted for the non-adjustable. Just get your self a set of eibach drag springs instead of the coil overs. You're down the right path though. Also stick with the strange 10 ways.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 AM
tplwhitegt
1st Gear Member

I went with Ground Pounder for my K-member and control arms, coil overs with KYB AGX adjustable strutsas well for the front. On the rearI went with Comp. Engineering adj. upper and lower control arms and alsothe adj. shock and coil over kit they offer for the rear. The lower control arms have no spring perch on them so they are basically a tube with Heims joints on each end also have an adjustable sway bar all from Comp. This is one badass set up fully adj. rear pinion angle. I can set my car up for street or track pretty easily. There is nothing but Heims joints on everything but it handles like crazy. The upr stuff is very good. Be carefull with the drag springs on the street. When you say for street use how much use you talkin? Hiway use? or for city. Also Max. Motorsport is about the best you can get for durability. Also check outwww.maierracing.comthey have some neat stuff.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:50 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

well it will see alot of city local highway mix and then when i go 2 the track thats 2hrs away...alot of interstate time. i want to hook up at the track and still have a half way decent ride on the way home...i can suffer a little for a performance gain.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if thats the case, i recommend solid uppers and adjustable lowers.
the lowers are easier to get to, and you can tweak them easier at the track.

also, they aren't too hard to adjust. you just remove a bolt and slide it into a different hole, basically. its pretty simple to adjust. it's learning what each adjustment actually does that takes time.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 AM
tplwhitegt
1st Gear Member

I second what mattdel says and also invest in a nice set of drag radials for the track and move your battery to the rear right side of the trunk if you haven't already makes a big diff. at the track. With the front coilovers I also had to go with front spindles from a '94-'95 mustang for the proper offset so the adj. collar for the springwould notrub the inside lipof the rim. I have converted four cars to front coilover but on my convertible I had the rubbing issue someone else may not have the same problem.

Quick Reply: to adjust or not adjust?