5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

shifters/transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 01:36 AM
5_liters
2nd Gear Member

Default shifters/transmission

hey guys, just got a few pretty simple questions:

1. is there a difference between the AOD and the AODE? i think 92 is when it made the change over? is it the electrical part of it? [&:]

2. i want to install a B&M quicksilver ratchet shifter in my 95 gt, is this possible? it says that its applicable to the AOD on the site but i think the AODE is electrical and therefore it wouldnt be possible?

i'm absolutely clueless on this, sombody please help me out.

also would the kits that they provide at B&M to make it manual shifting + the quicksilver/ or Z gate + 4.10 gears + drag radials, take anytenths off my 1/4?

all replys and suggestions appreciated

thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 02:02 AM
_IZoCk_
1st Gear Member

Default RE: shifters/transmission

AODE is like an electrical overdrive tranny or something. About the ratchet shifter. I have a B&M hammer ratchet shifter made for the 94-95 console and it works perfect. About shifting speed. Automatics have the computers that do the shifting for them, they shift quicker than a manual because the computer is faster than most drivers. Manual is more fun on the street though .
Old 12-16-2004, 02:06 AM
5_liters
2nd Gear Member

cool, whered you buy your shifter? on the B&M site it only differs between tranny types not years i.e - c 4, c 6, AOD

also, does you hammer shifter have a lever you need to lift or squeeze or whatever?

the B&M quicksilver has nothing to press/squeeze/lift etc. all you do is slam the shifter arm into 1st 2nd and 3rd.

so awesome....

hope i can install it on my stang

Old 12-16-2004, 02:37 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i sitll prefere i stick for fun
Old 12-16-2004, 02:51 AM
5_liters
2nd Gear Member

not everyone has that luxery ***! [8D]
Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dont use a B&M shift kit...use a transgo or lentech/art carr. as far as shifter dunno about it sorry cant help on that one. with your tranny you shouldnt worry about a shifter what you want is a stall,gears and good shift kit. this willl drasticly remove tenths off yoru time. a good stall is about .5 to .8 gears are .2 to .8 and this does vary so dont expect all that much but i would say with stall and gears you can bet that youll knock off about .7 totall off your time. as for not needing shifter this is why. my aod has a transgo shift kit in it with the full race springs [not street/strip] and my tranny by itself will shift at 2 rpms 3000 or 5800. there is no need for me to shift manually even tho i do start off in first[dunno why but i do]. My car is equipped with 410s, 2800 to 3200 stall and the transgo shift kit, Pro billet servo, trickflow deep pan, and a B&M 24000 cooler. you can use this to your likings if you wish. I have about 900 bucks into my tranny not including the tranny itself. Yes with all this i did notice a huge difference in my car. Oh with this setup dont think youll get traction at all. My car is very seldom under 3k around town and if i am then give it any bit of gas it just flashes the converter and spins the tires.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:04 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: _IZoCk_

AODE is like an electrical overdrive tranny or something. About the ratchet shifter. I have a B&M hammer ratchet shifter made for the 94-95 console and it works perfect. About shifting speed. Automatics have the computers that do the shifting for them, they shift quicker than a manual because the computer is faster than most drivers. Manual is more fun on the street though .
the difference between an AOD and an AODE is that the AOD uses a TV cable from the throttle linkage to change the internal pressure in the tranny and control the shifting points under varying amounts of throttle opening. the AODE doesn't use a cable, it gets its input about shifting from the ECU which is seeing the engine load and determining when the tranny needs to shift gears. it's easier to adjust the TV cable to change shift points than it is to reprogram the ECU to do the same thing.
and any automatic tranny will shift faster than a manual because they are always coupled to the engine via the torque converter and never have to be disengaged from the engine in order to shift gears which is accomplished via hydraulic pressure working through circuits in the tranny valve body, a computer has nothing to do with how fast they shift, just what rpm they shift at.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:04 PM
5_liters
2nd Gear Member

alright cool , thanks alot everyone.

the difference between an AOD and an AODE is that the AOD uses a TV cable from the throttle linkage to change the internal pressure in the tranny and control the shifting points under varying amounts of throttle opening. the AODE doesn't use a cable, it gets its input about shifting from the ECU which is seeing the engine load and determining when the tranny needs to shift gears. it's easier to adjust the TV cable to change shift points than it is to reprogram the ECU to do the same thing.
and any automatic tranny will shift faster than a manual because they are always coupled to the engine via the torque converter and never have to be disengaged from the engine in order to shift gears which is accomplished via hydraulic pressure working through circuits in the tranny valve body, a computer has nothing to do with how fast they shift, just what rpm they shift at.
thanks alot roundman, youre always full of thorough knowledge

so hey roundy, do you think that i could install a quicksilver B&M ratchet? if not are there ANY ratchet shifters made to be coupled with a shift kit and applied to the AODE?

i'm just really wanting and liking the ratchet shifting action, and would like to have this in my stang if at all possible.

can it be done? suggestions on shifters?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:09 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

any of the B&M ratchet type shifters can be applied to an AODE tranny as far as I know but to be absolutely sure you should contact the guys at B&M to be certain. I do know they make console mounted shifters that will bolt in to replace the stock shifters. you can use any shift kit you want and it don't matter what shifter you use with it. check out www.lentechautomatics.com for more information on AODE upgrades and shift kits, etc.