5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94 mustang runnin rich or lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
jlove018

Default 94 mustang runnin rich or lean

hi, i recently purchased my first mustang, a 94 mustang gt...i got it pretty cheap cuz it wasnt running when i bought it...turned the distributor a lil bit and she fired right up...the girl i bought the car from put alot of aftermarket parts on it and let anybody and their brother work on it for her...she said the engine was rebuilt and has a bigger cam installed...she also put a trickflo intake and elbow on...30 pound injectors...headers and flowmasters...
i bought a maf for the 30 lb injectors last week....
my problem is that when the car is idling in neutral you can smell gas from the exhaust and feels like its missing while cruising at a constant speed in any gear...the check engine light sometimes comes on after about 15 mins of driving and sometimes it never comes on...im going to get the codes checked here soon...also i idled it down following the procedures on the website and sometimes it wants to die when idling and then punching the gas...any ideas would be greatfully appreciated....thanks....josh
Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 94 mustang runnin rich or lean

if you can smell the gas in your exhaust then i would say your running rich.
is the cam and intake the only thing really done to it? 30# injectors seem a bit big to me
Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

run the self tests on it... it will tell you whats up... all you need is a test light and paper clip, or wire... i gotta take off n go to work, someone here can explain it for ya

but it sounds rich, ima guess the 30#ers are too big, what are ALL the mods???
Old 05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
jlove018

as far as i know those were the only mods...there was a superchip in it but i took that out because it was messing the timing up...
i had my friend hook his snapon scanner to it, here are the codes:

334 EGR (EVP) voltage above closed limit
176 EGO not switching, lean exhaust (bank #2)
543 fuel pump ckt open- battery to ECA

this was the key on engine off test, didnt have time to do the running one, will prolly do tomorrow
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

You already pulled two of the codes I expected you to pull when i first read your symptoms. Swap out your O2 sensors and then pull the negative battery terminal and let it sit for awhile to reset the computer. Then run her around for awhile and see how that works out.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
thesource
2nd Gear Member

Those cars are a huge pain in the azz when you start messing with the cams and intakes on them . I'd check all the noticable things but its probably going to need a custom chip installed .
Old 05-11-2007, 08:38 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thesource

Those cars are a huge pain in the azz when you start messing with the cams and intakes on them . I'd check all the noticable things but its probably going to need a custom chip installed .
None of that has anything to do with his problem. He's almost certainly got bad O2 sensors. Just replace them and clear tghe codes by pulling the battery.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
94gtmax50
1st Gear Member

HAVE FUN BECAUSE I AM GOING THREW WITH IT NOW . I CONVERTED MY COMPUTER TO A 93 SETUP AND THE IDLE IS STILL NOT RIGHT . I BOUGHT A 308 WITH A TRACK HEAT CAM AND TRICK FLOW WEDGED HEADS . THE ENGINE WAS BULIT AND SHIPED TO MY HOUSE . I AM STILL MESSING AROUND WITH IT . I AS FOR HELP AND PEOPLE I TALK TO NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE MINE. THAT IS WHY YOU WILL HAVE FUN .
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

yeah souds like o2's swap them out and worse case your injectors might be too big I would remend 24 pound injectors if all else fails
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

its diffenetly rich... are you headers gettin really red after a longer drive??? i say u could be missing becuz u got so much fuel to one of the plugs that its saturated with gas.... and go form 19#ers to 30#ers could easily do that if its not properly tuned... which would mroe than likely require a dyno tune to check out hte A/F ratio.... so thats what u need to do... find a dyno and get them to tune it for u

Quick Reply: 94 mustang runnin rich or lean