5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dropping out tranny need help.. have ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default dropping out tranny need help.. have ?s

ok first off there tranny is only connecter the that crossover member rite??? i dont see ne other connections to the car itsef..... the engine is already out so thats no atached... also how does the driveshaft disconnect... my biggest question is how does the shifter come out?? do i have to disconnect nething??... and if i have the tranny out is it worth gettin a MGW shifter now instead of 1 month from now??
Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
user8786
1st Gear Member

Default RE: dropping out tranny need help.. have ?s

transmission is bolted to bellhousing, and to transmission crossmember. driveshaft is bolted to pinion flange at rear axle and slides out of transmission.shifter is bolted to top of transmisssion by 4 bolts.shifter can be done later if need be.shifter has to come out so tranny can slide rearward.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: user8786

transmission is bolted to bellhousing, and to transmission crossmember. driveshaft is bolted to pinion flange at rear axle and slides out of transmission.shifter is bolted to top of transmisssion by 4 bolts.shifter can be done later if need be.shifter has to come out so tranny can slide rearward.

engine doesnt needed to slide rearward tho.... it just needs to drop straight out.... the engine isnt in the car like i said above so it doesnt need to slide bakwards does it?? is the shifter actually atached to the car or can i slide it out and then take it off??
Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

ok pal, 1. drain the fluid out the tranny if you dont want to have to deal with that all over you when you pull the drive shaft. 2. loosen all 4 bolts where the driveshaft ties into the rearend. 3. after those are loose but not out put the tranny in neutral so you can spin the drive shaft and take all but the last of the 4 bolts on the end of the drive shaft out and then rotate it until the last is on the bottom. with one hand hold the shaft up and with the other take the last one out. lower the drive shaft and slide it rearward out of the tail shaft of the tranny. 4. block up the bottom of tranny with a jack or wood or what ever you can find but dont put it on the tailshaft, put it under the bottom of the tranny between the cross member and the bell housing. 5. lossen two nuts thats on the bottom center of the crossember, the studs come off ofthe trans. mount. 6. jack the tranny up until the mount will come out and pull the mount.7. 2 long studs need to be pulled off the cross member there is one on each side going through the frame into the cross members arm and then out the frame on the other side. one nut on each closest to the engine bay. you will need a wrench for back up and a socket on the other end. once they are out pull the crossmember out. 8. pull speedo and reverse light connections on the driver side upper portion of the tranny. 9. get inside and pull the boot and shifter off.10. lower the tranny down slowly until you can get it out without beating it up. without the bell housing she weighs 90lbs roughly. if i missed something just let me know whaere you stuck and i will tell ya what to do. NOW GET AFTER IT !!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:45 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

ok pal, 1. drain the fluid out the tranny if you dont want to have to deal with that all over you when you pull the drive shaft. 2. loosen all 4 bolts where the driveshaft ties into the rearend. 3. after those are loose but not out put the tranny in neutral so you can spin the drive shaft and take all but the last of the 4 bolts on the end of the drive shaft out and then rotate it until the last is on the bottom. with one hand hold the shaft up and with the other take the last one out. lower the drive shaft and slide it rearward out of the tail shaft of the tranny. 4. block up the bottom of tranny with a jack or wood or what ever you can find but dont put it on the tailshaft, put it under the bottom of the tranny between the cross member and the bell housing. 5. lossen two nuts thats on the bottom center of the crossember, the studs come off ofthe trans. mount. 6. jack the tranny up until the mount will come out and pull the mount.7. 2 long studs need to be pulled off the cross member there is one on each side going through the frame into the cross members arm and then out the frame on the other side. one nut on each closest to the engine bay. you will need a wrench for back up and a socket on the other end. once they are out pull the crossmember out. 8. pull speedo and reverse light connections on the driver side upper portion of the tranny. 9. get inside and pull the boot and shifter off.10. lower the tranny down slowly until you can get it out without beating it up. without the bell housing she weighs 90lbs roughly. if i missed something just let me know whaere you stuck and i will tell ya what to do. NOW GET AFTER IT !!!!!!!!

cool thanks for the info... im getin to get everything ready but i dont have time to do it tonite... i work earily in the morning... if i have questions ill just pm u tomorrow... oh yea can i reuse the tranny fluid??
Old 05-14-2007, 11:23 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

yea if its clean. i would drain it through a fine screened funnel into a clean bucket or if you have a empty milk jug clean it up real good and drain it into that through the funnel and then you will be able to see if you have any metal running around in there because the funnel will catch it.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:51 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Honestly for the price of tranny fluid I'd just get new. No use in risking it.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:56 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

yea if its clean. i would drain it through a fine screened funnel into a clean bucket or if you have a empty milk jug clean it up real good and drain it into that through the funnel and then you will be able to see if you have any metal running around in there because the funnel will catch it.
is it worth reusing.... like is it worth the risk... or should i jsut buy new stuff tomorrow on the way home from work?? if so whats some good stuff to get... what should i look for and what should i stay away from
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Well, a lot of ppl use the auto fluid for Ford transmissions. That's what's in mine. There are some aftermarket brands you can buy that are geared more towards high performance parts.

Personally I just always drain and add new fluids to anything I am working on. It all breaks down over time, and if you don't know how long it's been in there, I'd replace it.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

my 2 cents worth is royal purple synthetic for the best but its pricy. b&m makes some now called trick shift and ive run it, its my second choice. just about any kind is ok as long as its a mercon dextron 2 or better. WHATEVER YOU DO PLEASE TRUST ME AND RUN A AUTO TRANNY FLUID IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: dropping out tranny need help.. have ?s