5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do I bypass my o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How do I bypass my o2 sensors?

FYI....this is not a customer, but a case that will prove the point......again, this is not the optimum way to run EFI, simply an example of the logic the system has to deal with failure conditions, or the absence of some inputs; and should be "used" as a temporary crutch while the problem is fixed.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

I know how limp mode works. This is what I do for a living. It's just never a good Idea. O2's are like ur computers backups. So it can see the affects of what it is doing. There are way too many variable that can affect your af ratios. I'd rather have my computer see what's going on then guessing.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: rcdblink716

I know how limp mode works. This is what I do for a living. It's just never a good Idea. O2's are like ur computers backups. So it can see the affects of what it is doing. There are way too many variable that can affect your af ratios. I'd rather have my computer see what's going on then guessing.
This is what Joel does for a living too, and from what I have seenhe is damn good at it!

I get what you are saying, and I don't recommend running with out the O2's either. I don't think any one in this thread would RECOMMEND it.
But, if the hardware on the car is properly matched, the ecu can do surprisingly well.

The point being made is that the car can (and usually will) run, without the O2's, even if it isn't ideal.

jason
Old 05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Squirrel_Masta

Alright, alright....you talked me into it.

I spent all day today taking/cutting my old H-pipe off, cutting the studs off, and trying to drill through them. After burning up half of my drill bits and sending my wife to Lowe's to get me another that i burnned up in about 5 min., I have got three of the four studs drilled out I still need to remove my new h-pipe from my 91 (with a blown tranny)and put it on my 87.

Now i am sitting here covered in dirt and oil (yeah, i don't have a garage) just to thank you all.

Man what a great day!!!!
LOL
We all feel that pain...

Why didn't you have the wife pick up a couple cases of Mountain Dew and work through the night. [&:]
No quiting until the jobs done!
I don't care to count how many times I have done that...

Keep us posted on the progress,
jason
Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 PM
8Mustang8
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jasonvri

ORIGINAL: Squirrel_Masta

Alright, alright....you talked me into it.

I spent all day today taking/cutting my old H-pipe off, cutting the studs off, and trying to drill through them. After burning up half of my drill bits and sending my wife to Lowe's to get me another that i burnned up in about 5 min., I have got three of the four studs drilled out I still need to remove my new h-pipe from my 91 (with a blown tranny)and put it on my 87.

Now i am sitting here covered in dirt and oil (yeah, i don't have a garage) just to thank you all.

Man what a great day!!!!
LOL
We all feel that pain...

Why didn't you have the wife pick up a couple cases of Mountain Dew and work through the night. [&:]
No quiting until the jobs done!
I don't care to count how many times I have done that...

Keep us posted on the progress,
jason
That is exactly what i do, well not the wife part cause i'm not married but i get it myself. Working on my car isn't the same without mountain dew
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

Works great until the caffiene withdrawal kicks in late the next morning.

[8D]
Old 05-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Squirrel_Masta
1st Gear Member

ok, I have ogot the h-pipe all hooked up nice and snug, new O2' cause after i got the old ones off relized that they were crap anyway, hahaha. My mufflers and tailpipes are swiss cheese (rust holes everywhere).

Ihave seem to have lost power though?

Could this be because my timing was set while my O2's weren't functioning properly? Or maybe just because it actually has some back pressure now?

If not then i need some help with this one, i liked my car better when it was a little faster!!!! [&o]