5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

havent driven powerful car yet, advice?(new pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 PM
foxstang89
1st Gear Member

Default havent driven powerful car yet, advice?(new pics!)

well the only thing i have driven before is a ford ranger out in west virginia,which is nothing like a 5.0 mustang. i have a few questions

-can you do damage to the clutch by dropping it while revin would it make a difference if you let it in slowly? (sorry very dumb question i know)
-i know there are many techniques for spinnig the tires, which is the easiest and the least harsh on a car
-when just normally driving is a car similar to a motorcycle, meaning when you take the car into first you press in the clucth, shift into first, then slowly let out the clutch, or does it not matter how fast you let the clutch go if your not reving?
- my buds were teasin me saying that my 89 would be slower than a tuned civic, how much horsepower can be lost over the years, im assuming the car has been taken care of, but i havent really gotten a look at the engine and such

and last but not least whats it like driving a 5.0? when you slam on the pedal do you really go flying? how is the sound on a stocker, and is it reliable and a decent dailydriver (mpg ?)

sorry for the dumb questions im just an anxious 15 yr old who cant wait to get a stang and although it might seem like i am asking stupid questions i am not goin to drive like an idiot when i get this car, i will have respect for it as i will always have when behind the wheel of a car these are just things i am curious about
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Default RE: havent driven powerful car yet, advice?

1. Yes...dumping the clutch is harmful. Driving style depends on the type of clutch you have. With a normal, organic clutch you slip it out until you get going. With kevlar clutches, you don't want to slip as much cause it's more harmful for the disk. Revving up the engine and dumping the clutch is quite a bit of wear and tear not just on the clutch but on the whole drivetrain and your suspension. You can actually tear the welds and metal, and twist the car if you rag on it too much. One of the first things you'll notice is seat bolts coming loose through the floorpans.

2. There is no method of spinning tires that isn't harmful to the car. The least harmful would be with a line-lock, which probably isn't an option. Your best bet if you really have to do a burnout is to just dump the clutch and stomp the gas...Prolonged burnouts require you to do the same while using your heel to step on the brakes and your toes to feather the gas and keep the wheels spinning. As you might guess...bad for your brakes, and certainly not good for your tires.

3. Do you mean if you're moving? If you're moving, you don't use first. If you're rolling up to a light and it turns green, you can just drop it into second. First is really only for starting out. Dropping into first isn't really a problem, as long as you don't stomp the gas at the same time.

4. There are people on here who run 13 and 12 second passes on motors that have 200k+ miles on them. Mileage isn't really a factor with a 5.0, they just keep on ticking...Unless we're talking something crazy. If it was well taken care of, and is in good running condition, it'll still be just as quick as when it rolled off the lot.

5. No, lol, you won't go flying. 300 ft-lbs of torque will give you a good jolt but don't expect to be whooping *** on every car out there. For their time, they were quick cars...But nowadays even Nissan Maximas have 260hp...So they aren't really that "fast" anymore...Quick yes, starting out, but they fall on their faces considering they've only got 225hp in stock form. As far as reliability...concerning the engine, there isn't a better one. These things will run until you beat them into oblivion. Everything else can start to wear out though, remember that these cars are almost 20 years old. Alternators, water pumps, electrical stuff, suspension bushings, shocks and struts, etc...All this stuff starts to fail on high mileage cars even if the engine still runs like a top.

I know you say you respect the car...But please do. The first time you step on the gas too much on a wet road while you're going around a corner could be your last. Learn to drive the car before you go hot-rodding around. Respect the machine for what it is...Learn what it can and can't do, and what you can and can't do. Most of all, welcome to the Mustang scene...Nothing else like it. Haha, and remember to have fun, while being safe at the same time. Life and death can be a matter of inches or fractions of a second.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Clutch drops are seriously abusive to the universal joints and transmission, avoid them. Most 5.0s will blow smoke without much effort... If huge crowd pleasers are your goal, let the clutch out nice and slow, get the car rolling to 2mph, cut the wheels to lock and floor it... HUGE smokey donuts every time... Just watch the RPMs and don't hit anything.

Stock 5.0 acceleration isn't like warp speed or anything, but they're still quicker than 99% of whats on the road. Seriously... Drive through a parking lot somewhere and for every 100 cars you count you'll probably see 1 or 2 Mustang GTs or V8 Camaros... Lots of 6-ers out there. A stock 5.0 is plenty fast enough to get you in to more problems than you expect, quicker than you expect, if you drive like an idiot. Just drive the car like you would anything else and stay in your comfort zone. Eventually your confort zone will grow and the car won't feel like anything special anymore.

A "tuned" (CIA, header, fart can, basic bolt-ons) Civic will get *** raped by a 5.0 in proper running condition. A seriously modified Civic, or seriosuly modified anything, will eat you.

Reliability and mileage will vary car to car. As a whole, mine has been pretty good to me and I'm getting freakishly good mileage out of it. Don't buy a crap box and expect it not to break down. And remember, these cars are OLD by daily driver standards. Expect some repairs and maintenance.

Personally... I wouldn't get a 5.0 as a first car. Get something cheap to own and operate as a driver (and to get confortable with just driving in general) and then get a 5.0 as a toy. That's just my opinion.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
justakid
2nd Gear Member

agreed with everything above

try a different car for a first and then expieriment from there

you may be disappointed with the 5.0, just my .02.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:35 AM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

You could always try a 2.3 L for your first car. It really all depends on your experience driving (if any) or your knowledge of cars..
Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 AM
justakid
2nd Gear Member

i just think your expectations are way to high

i mean i have a 5.0 for my first car but **** it's not anything like a modern v8 today

theyre pushing alot more hp than you think
Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 AM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

^ My first car is also a 5.0, but I have raced stock cars the past three years so I've been accustomed to getting my car out of a spin or two..
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

They don't cost anything like a modern V8 from today either... You can't buy an intake and heads for an LS1 for what you'd spend on an entire Mustang 5.0.

Stupid fast or not... I'd be dead if I had my 5.0 when I was 16. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. RIP, mom crying, me in a box.

But... That's me.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 AM
justakid
2nd Gear Member

i got my license saturday and i own a '89 lx 5.0

it's fast and everything but **** man, it's not a death trap

drive safe and be responsible.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

That's easy to say at a computer chair, not so easy when you've got a girl you're trying to impress in the car, or a bunch of people hooting at you to smoke the tires. Just use good judgement man, the car won't do anything you dont' tell it to do.

Quick Reply: havent driven powerful car yet, advice?(new pics!)