5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Next Step- Newbie More Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 AM
neidert

Default Next Step- Newbie More Power

Just thinking about next step for my Stang, I got BBK Cold air Intake, 73mm MAF, 70 mm Throttle body, Intake manifold, 24 LB Injectors, 1.7 Rocker Arms, E-303 Cam, Edlebrock performer Aluminum heads, BBK Shorty Headers, X-Pipe, Magna Flow Cat back exhaust, Hurst Shifter, 3.73 Gears. Bunch of suspension stuff to, but I want power. Thinking of a custom chip. But are these things worth getting?? Or is a dyno tune just as good?? Would nitrous be something to consider with this setup??? I already run 94 Octane gas. I want to supercharge but can't afford that. Is there something I missed for power gains, not to expensive?? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Next Step- Newbie More Power

custom chip is the product of a dyno tune. it isnt a custom chip if they dont test your car on the dyno.

hp isnt cheap so if you want to fast, expect to pay for it. nitrous would be a good choice for you if you want quick, cheap hp. its cheap in the short run but you will have to fill that bottle all the time which means expensive in the long run.

wht suspension do you have? if you havent replaced every stock suspension part, there is always more you can do.

have you upgraded your fuel pump? it takes more fuel to feed more hp. you will need it if you go nitrous. with the mods you have, you should have already upgraded the pump. if its the stock pump, i can almost guarrenty your running lean causing you to loose hp.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Super Charger
Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
neidert

Yeah I got a 255lph fuel pump, I want to supercharge but I need to start saving for a house and don't have money for one right now. With the burnt chip I meant is a dyno tune without a chip just as good or will I see more gains if I get a dyno tune with a chip? If so how much could I expect? Yeah tell me about HP not being cheap I've already put somewhere around $10,000 into the car. Should have went with supercharger earlier. So if I run nitrous with my car tuned at 94 octane it wont cause detonation? Thanks so much for the help. As for suspension I got Lowering springs, steeda Catster/Camber plates, X2 Ball joints, Bumpsteer kit, BBK sub frame connectors, Koni Yellow adjustable shocks and I'm thinking of rear control arms or sway bars in the near future.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM
neidert

Also the local shop is recommending I put a 180 degree thermostat in. Would you recommend this. I got a 3-core BeCool Aluminum Rad in the car. I do have AC so I could manually turn the fan on using that, or with a burnt chip can they get the fan to turn on earlier? Or do I even need the fan turning on earlier?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:48 PM
neidert

One more thing I haven't got a dyno with my new heads or suspension yet, and the last dyno was with all the other mods with 87 octane and I got 217.5 at the wheels, they were impressed, but I wasn't is this good? How much more could I expect now that the heads are done and I'm using 94 Octane?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

a dyno tune is just a dyno pull without a chip. efi cars need computer tuning which is done with a chip.

a 180* stat is a good mod. wont help a whole lot but the motor will run cooler which is a plus. you dont need to adjust your electric fan if you dont want to.

all those mods and you only put down 217? seems pretty low. could be that you just did a dyno pull and no tuning was done. had they burnt you a chip you probably could have made more.

get a nitrous kit, go back to the dyno and get a custom chip.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
neidert

Yeah thats what I thought, it was on the dyno for 1 hour or more. It was on a Mustang dyno, I heard these read lower then others don't know if its true or not. That was also without the alum heads. They said if I used 94 octane they could get 20 more HP don't know if that is to wheels or not. They said 5.0L average 180 HP on the dyno so 40 rear wheel HP was gained but still seems low even without alum heads. Cool thanks for the input
Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

for what you want, id go with a wet 100 shot.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
neidert

Cool, thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Next Step- Newbie More Power