5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake cleaner and problems with idle now

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 AM
ford.racing.01

Default Intake cleaner and problems with idle now

I just bought a 1994 Mustang GT and I decided to get some MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF sensor,and I sprayed the intake and throttle body with some STPintake cleaner. There was alot of oil, probably from the EGR because it was horrible...just bought the car. After I cleaned the intake and everything I put everything back on and started it up...it now runs in the 1500 rpm range all the time, it wont fall down to normal idle speed. Anyone know what is wrong or what could have happened? I drove it for bout 15 min and it is still doing it, I even took the neg. terminal off and reset the computer...still doing it.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 AM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake cleaner and problems with idle now

ya bro, note the little warning label on your throttle body "do not clean!" anyways its just an excuse for you to go with a bigger throttle body.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
ford.racing.01

Dang, I remember seeing a yellow sticker around the throttle body inlet, but it was too worn for me to read...I guess it was where it was saying not to clean it...why can't the throttle body be cleaned, it worked great on my Ranger.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I highly doubt that the problem is with the fact that he cleaned the TB. I'd check for vacuum leaksfirst. You didn't reuse old gaskets did you? When you put the intake backj on, did you torque the bolts to the correct specs? Perhaps make sure you didn't damage any wires on the MAF or IAC. Make sure your TPS voltage is okay.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 PM
ford.racing.01

Sorry, guys I must have confused you...I left the intake on, all I did was take out the rubber tubing and air box, I left the intake manifold and plenium on. I dont think I messed with any vacume lines, the EGR is the only thing in the tubing, but it was connected and it doesnt make you car run fast if its not connected so I know its not that...I havent checked the MAF sensor, all I did was spray it...didnt take it apart or anything. The clips are secure on the IAT sensor, and the MAF...I cant think of any more.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Mayo87
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem. my mechanic was ****in w/ my car n he turned it on and i was at like 3k rpms. lol there was 2 vacuum hoses that came out the back of my manafold. he connected 1 somewhere and clogged the other 1 up and now im @ like 6-800 rpms
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ford.racing.01

Sorry, guys I must have confused you...I left the intake on, all I did was take out the rubber tubing and air box, I left the intake manifold and plenium on. I dont think I messed with any vacume lines, the EGR is the only thing in the tubing, but it was connected and it doesnt make you car run fast if its not connected so I know its not that...I havent checked the MAF sensor, all I did was spray it...didnt take it apart or anything. The clips are secure on the IAT sensor, and the MAF...I cant think of any more.
Something doesn't add up there...

EGR comes in on the intake side of the TB, not into the tubing between the TB and MAF.
Also, There is NO WAY for oil to get into the intake VIA the EGR. EGR is only exhaust gas.

Most likely the pcv is causing the oil puddles...

Can you post a pic of the intake?
Your comments on the EGR are a little confusing, and something doesn't seem right.

jason
Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 PM
ROTTITANK
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford.racing.01

Did u spray the maf sensor.If so u might have screwed it up.