5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Afr's are on!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Afr's are on!

canfields have big valves, you can run an off the shelf cam just fine with them as long as you have large enough valve pockets in the pistons. if not they will need to be flycut, no custom cam needed. there no different than any standard inline valve wedge head out there.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
PearlWhiteGT
2nd Gear Member

That's the problem, my short block has stock type TRW pistons. So with a custom cam I can run the 195's even with stock uncut pistons.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dman302

ORIGINAL: Blck92GT

I made the numbers in my sig with AFR 165s, Peformer intake and TFS 1 cam, while my good buddy did TWs, systemax intake and Jay Allen cam and made 289/298.He bought the TWs cause after researching most everyone says they are the better head over 165's, and went with the Jay Allen cam because he wanted to make the best numbers he could. Lets just say he was pissed and I would be too when my off the shelf combo made 16hp and 42lbs/tq more than his at the wheels when he spent a good $200 more on the cam than me. The only differences between our motors besides the HCI is his 70mm TB vs my 65mm TB....we both have JLT intakes, LMAFS, same tuner and everything else supporting is the same.

Maybe Jay didnt give his best effort when designing my buddy's cam or maybe the combo is a little too big for a 302, who knows; I just know unless its an all out race motor where every hp makes a difference I will go with an OTS cam anyday. Hell I paid $120 for my cam brand new from some guy off corral and made much more respectable numbers than my boy who shelled out $300+ for a "magic stick" that made **** for power.

Edit: And if you couldnt tell, AFRs get my vote as long as the springs are upgraded
. Jay's cams have been responsible for some astounding engines...perhapse your 'buddy' should have contacted Jay to inquire about his lack of output. Saying he didn't put in the effort is rediculous...if your buddy described the parts he was going to use and informed Jay of what he wanted the you can be assured he did his best to meet the requests.
Idk, I've also heard that some of Jay's cams were a little lacking for the setup they were designed for.

The main reason I didn't go with a custom grind cam is because I know this is not the last setup I'll be running in my car...
Old 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Blck92GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dman302
. Jay's cams have been responsible for some astounding engines...perhapse your 'buddy' should have contacted Jay to inquire about his lack of output. Saying he didn't put in the effort is rediculous...if your buddy described the parts he was going to use and informed Jay of what he wanted the you can be assured he did his best to meet the requests.
I wasnt saying right out that he didnt give an effort, if you read it right I said there are multiple reasons why it might not haveperformed as expected. Either way, the cam was based off of the exact parts he used....when the numbers were low at first the total timing was a degree or two belowwhat was recommended on the cam card, so the tuner fidddled with the tune and brought the total timing to where it needed to be and there was no difference in power. Jay said it needed more timing, but tuner said he could throw all the timing he wanted at the combo, andit would never make the numbers my buddy expected it to.

FWIW im not bad mouthing any custom cam builders....im just saying from my experience I will go with an off the shelf over a custom anyday unless its a race motor where every hp counts.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:00 PM
jrhaden
2nd Gear Member

AFR's for me and they are freaking amazing.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hatchdemon89

wow this thread became bullshhh lol im sorrie was just giving people a heads up on the afr's lol thats all someone delete this lol
Why delete it? I think this is a great thread. I'm learning a lot, anyway. I agree with what has been stated about just choosing a combo, and rocking it senseless. My motor is stock now, but one day, I'll be throwing an HCI combo onto/into it. I'll just go with a matched combo, and not worry to much about numbers. But then, I'm not feeding my family with race money.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

hatchdemon needs a few grammer lessons. It takes to much energy to read what he wrote I'm to tired to remember what he was talking about.
Trust me, your grammar and spelling isn't much better.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

hatchdemon needs a few grammer lessons. It takes to much energy to read what he wrote I'm to tired to remember what he was talking about.
LOL, I always think it's funny when someone comments on someone else's grammar when they can't even spell grammar themselves.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

ORIGINAL: Twisted

LOL, I always think it's funny when someone comments on someone else's grammar when they can't even spell grammar themselves.
No kidding! I usually don't say anything, but come on now.