5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Motor noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:22 PM
itsa87
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Motor noise...

I edited the first message and added the video there so that no one would have to hunt the vid down .=p
Old 05-18-2007, 06:34 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Like someone already said, try taking the belt off and starting it. Don't run it for more than a few seconds, just long enough to see if the sound is still there. It sounds like the valvetrain, but I've also heard power steering pumps on the fritz that sounded like that. Belt removal will distinguish between the two. For the record, was the trans messed with at all? I doubt it's the dust cover hitting the flywheel, unless the guy completely jacked up installation and even then you'd have to try to do that..

Edit: 2 more things- does the amount of chattering increase with rpm? When the belt is off give it a quick rev (only one or two.. remember, no water goin through the engine)
also, how long have you had it? The best thing to do would be to take it back to this guy and make sure he fixes what he screwed up. What other problems have you had?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sounds like the motor is junk to me
Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
itsa87
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

Like someone already said, try taking the belt off and starting it. Don't run it for more than a few seconds, just long enough to see if the sound is still there. It sounds like the valvetrain, but I've also heard power steering pumps on the fritz that sounded like that. Belt removal will distinguish between the two. For the record, was the trans messed with at all? I doubt it's the dust cover hitting the flywheel, unless the guy completely jacked up installation and even then you'd have to try to do that..

Edit: 2 more things- does the amount of chattering increase with rpm? When the belt is off give it a quick rev (only one or two.. remember, no water goin through the engine)
also, how long have you had it? The best thing to do would be to take it back to this guy and make sure he fixes what he screwed up. What other problems have you had?
Ok, took the belt off, same noise, and yeah it increases with the RPM's...

I had to replace my starter because a bolt backed out and snapped an ear, the water pump because it was out and the thermostat....I just noticed water is slowly leaking from what I think is the timming cover. =/
Old 05-18-2007, 06:52 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

it's hard for me to be sure sounds like the rockers aren't getting oil or are way out of adjustment..do you have good oil pressure
Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
itsa87
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

it's hard for me to be sure sounds like the rockers aren't getting oil or are way out of adjustment..do you have good oil pressure
That's another problem I'm having...The gaug is all out of whack and I even bought a new ground and put it in a good enough place.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 PM
itsa87
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: itsa87

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

That's another problem I'm having...The gaug is all out of whack and I even bought a new ground and put it in a good enough place.
I mean, when I hit the gas it sometimes drops but when the car is off it is at the very top as far as it can get. =p
Old 05-18-2007, 07:16 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Before you run it anymore I'd bring it back to the yahoo that built it... not worth it to troubleshoot and run it more in a damaging state when it's his fault
Old 05-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Mikegearin

Jack the car up, and start it up, roll under the car and see if the noise is stronger by the starter. If your carefull enough y ou can take a ling screw driver and put it to various points on the engine and put it up to your ear. This may help you isolate where the noise is coming from..
Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Stroked91
2nd Gear Member

noise can transfer from one place to another i have almost the same noise but sometimes its not always there you may have a big exhaust leak of it ould be a lifter. but yea best bet is to take it to the guy that built it

Quick Reply: Motor noise...