5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Submit Your Custom Cam Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Submit Your Custom Cam Specs

ORIGINAL: my77stang

yeah?

well........ oranges < apples

lol. fixed. Granny Smith FTMFW!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

pfff...... bananas pwn all
Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

pfff...... bananas pwn all
ok ok agreed
Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

in the name of science, research, and proving a point to myself and probabl other MF members - anyone with a custom ground cam please post your lift/duration/centerline so i can do some research.

Thanks!

*edit* i anticipate + .600 solid lift radical grinds used in straight up drag cars to be worth getting custom, but anything in the .500 - .600 hyd. street driver range to be a waste of money over choosing the best "out of the box" cam available for your application.

we'll know soon enough [8D]
OK....what would be a "best out of the box" cam for a specific application?.....what do you look for in terms of specs vs. intake, heads, fuel, spark, intended use, etc?.....lift?.....valve events are not important?.......just asking.....

Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

knowing your duration, lift, and centerline is enough to determine all your events - as noted in the desktop dyno software when you plug in the advertsied specs and it shows you all the valve opening and closing events based off those figures.

the rest of your question has been answered time and time again. people assemble their motor to perform at their intended rpm range, the cam follows suit so to speak to get you there. what i mean is a person selecting "performer" heads and intake is looking for that advertised rpm range - whereas a person choosing a "performer rpm" head/intake is looking for that intended rpm range.

to put it another way..... nothing but pure example - lets say johnny cam grinder comes to the conclusion you need a .529 lift cam with 278 deg of avertised duration and a 113 centerline. well, [insert popular cam company name here] makes a .525 / 280 / 112 cam. do you really think on the street your EVER going to notice the difference between the two? and thats not even mentioning when your getting that close either cam may make more power than the other so who knows which is best (but either way the power wouldnt be noticable)

anyways now that i have explained myself and my thoughts in full detail can we get some friggen specs? or maybe you guys dont even know what they are [8D]

Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

*edit* i anticipate + .600 solid lift radical grinds used in straight up drag cars to be worth getting custom, but anything in the .500 - .600 hyd. street driver range to be a waste of money over choosing the best "out of the box" cam available for your application.

we'll know soon enough [8D]
Well then, can I get another example with an OTS cam to my 2 "little" hyd. roller cam combos?

stock shortblock, E7s, Performer RPM, AOD, NX Shark nozzle, 93 octane= 428rwhp 567rwtq
That cam was .545/.545 218/224 114.

327", TW heads, Performer RPM, AOD, Novi 2000 @ 13psi, 93 octane = >600rwhp (broke on the dyno, past 600rwhp @ 5500rpm, never peaked, was climbing fast)
That cam was .544/.576 224/230 114.

Those were both Bennett cams. I've also had 3 Jay Allen cams. They were from .550 lift hyd. rollers to .>.770 lift solid rollers. All that information is not available to the public.

Moral of the story is: A custom cam doesn't have to be big to perform well. My cams were the best bang for the buck in all my combos.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:24 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Im still waiting on my custom cam and I dont have the specs yet.
I ordered one from FTI a month ago and still havent gotten it.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:30 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

knowing your duration, lift, and centerline is enough to determine all your events - as noted in the desktop dyno software when you plug in the advertsied specs and it shows you all the valve opening and closing events based off those figures.

the rest of your question has been answered time and time again. people assemble their motor to perform at their intended rpm range, the cam follows suit so to speak to get you there. what i mean is a person selecting "performer" heads and intake is looking for that advertised rpm range - whereas a person choosing a "performer rpm" head/intake is looking for that intended rpm range.

to put it another way..... nothing but pure example - lets say johnny cam grinder comes to the conclusion you need a .529 lift cam with 278 deg of avertised duration and a 113 centerline. well, [insert popular cam company name here] makes a .525 / 280 / 112 cam. do you really think on the street your EVER going to notice the difference between the two? and thats not even mentioning when your getting that close either cam may make more power than the other so who knows which is best (but either way the power wouldnt be noticable)

anyways now that i have explained myself and my thoughts in full detail can we get some friggen specs? or maybe you guys dont even know what they are [8D]
Depending on who designed the cam, you could see MAJOR differences with nearly identical lift, duration @ .050 and centerline or LSA (which are for the most part worthless in choosing a cam). That's not even the tip of the iceberg. If you want to get complicated, talk about the need for different cams on identical longblocks but 1 EFI and 1 carb.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I know....I have 4 of them and a couple of Excel spreadsheets for the cam events.

The cam follows suit?.....isn't the cam the brain of the engine?.....wouldn't it set the "rpm range", exploit the benefits of a good head selection, or patch a bad one?...... BTW....a 302 6,000-6,500 rpm range cam and combo will not follow suit for that rpm range in a 347 stroker. I don't think is that simple.

Specs on the cam is a simplistic way of looking at a complex situation.....
IVO: 5 and IVC: 39 = 224°.......IVO:0 and IVC:44 = 224°...which is bettter for a specific combo?......what exhaust events (timing and duration) will complement the intake ones and the combo, or rpm range?......once those are defined....LSA is then calculated....not the other way around. What about lobe ramps (opening and closing sides), symmetry.....base circle size.....I can give you two cams, similar duration, lift and LSA specs....one is a small base circle HR and the other a regular base circle HR cam......so it's not that simple. Unless a trial and error ($$$) is expected to be followed.

You may want to check http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6319 .....and/or http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm ......

Individual choice......but I wouldn't give for free, what I paid premium for.....just a thought.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

but remember joel your really giving anything away because its "custom" for your application so it may not work well for someone else.

seriously you guys are overthinking this. i look at it like this....

crane, comp, lunati, and others do tons of R & D to make cams they feel will work the best with most popular engine combinations. you guys play it off like a custom grinder is going to make you some holy grail of a cam while one from the major manufacturers is gonna provide you with crap. these custom grinders are using the years of testing from the big guys as their springboards for their own calculations.

i just wanna see a post with one custom cam and what the engine specs were. something n/a and provide as much engine detail as possible. let me run a dyno sim pull and compare the results. im guessing they will be close.

again, this is something i have a inkling that im right, but i would like to prove myself right OR wrong - but by data, not by e-banter. i think thats fair enough do you all?

Quick Reply: Submit Your Custom Cam Specs