5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Submit Your Custom Cam Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Submit Your Custom Cam Specs

ORIGINAL: my77stang

yeah?

well........ oranges > apples

thats like sayin **** > a$$ .... and noone can really make that call lol... i have my spec sheet somwere... and a custom grind cam is worth it in the long run... even if u are street.... think about a cam made for what u are doing... yea sometimes u can get close with off hte shelf ****... but close only counts with horse shoes and hand grenades.... and more hp and tq is more hp and tq hands down... i got a nitrous boost cam with the intake and heads to match... i dont have the nitrous or boost yet.. but its in the picture... just down the road... mines not togehter yet newayz... getting very close tho... ill put up specs tomorrow

Old 05-18-2007, 01:06 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

thats like sayin **** > a$$ .... and noone can really make that call lol...
i was being sarcastic LOL, and anyways poon > **** or *** (we BETTER all agree on that)

Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 AM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget there's more to a cams worth than simply peak numbers, peak numbers are for dyno queens and ricers....AVG HP and TQ...that's where the fun is. Give me BROAD strong HP and TQ curves on the street ANY day over peak numbers...majority of the time my tach is under 2500 and THAT'S where I want to drop the foot and get planted. I always see the peak numbers mentioned...guilty myself, but you want to see what the combo has look at the AVG numbers. I chose my cam after a lengthy conversation with a popluar grinder, my OTS cam was aprox the same price as a custom but it suited my needs and was available at barely a fraction of it's true cost..it was the only OTS cam he recomended for my parts list. The combo was built for broad power curve, the peak numbers were simply a bonus.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:18 AM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

oh my god you fu*king pussies the dude is asking for cam specs if you dont have them STFU!!!quit givin him hell. he is right if the cams are 1 or 2 degrees off or a slightly diff lift/duration youll never tell the difference on a street engine. so many people on this forum are so full of sh*t thinking that $200 or $300 moreis worth the extra 5 horses you get. sure custom cams are the way to go if your constantly at the track. if your not always at the track custom cams area waste. if you want to throw the extra money away put it ina package and send it to me or hell ill give you my paypal but get real.

a fool and his money are soon parted
Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

^ thank you
Old 05-18-2007, 04:25 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

but remember joel your really giving anything away because its "custom" for your application so it may not work well for someone else.
So if a custom cams specs don't apply to any other motor, WHY ARE YOU ASKING?

crane, comp, lunati, and others do tons of R & D to make cams they feel will work the best with most popular engine combinations.
I think that is an overstatement of what they do...

This thread is pointless.
I used to feel the same way you seem to be thinking right now. Then I started doing some serious research. I don't mean getting on google and looking up cam specs with dyno numbers. I mean going through some automotive engineering textbooks. The info available in these books doesn't even fully explore all of the things needed.
The reason for this...
It is proprietary. Engine builders aren't going to give out info on 'how' to design a cam.

I wish you luck, but you are looking at things the wrong way...
jason
Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

all i wanna do is compare ANY custom cam specs on the engine specs it was designed for agaisnt the closest off the shelf bump stick i can find and see what the dyno sim says the differences are - in peak power, and in power curve. its a simple experiment but i cant seem to get one person to actually speak up, which tells me most people on here with a custom cam prolly dont even know their specs, for that matter coulda got an e-303 thrown in their motor and wouldnt know the difference[8D]
Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

all i wanna do is compare ANY custom cam specs on the engine specs it was designed for agaisnt the closest off the shelf bump stick i can find and see what the dyno sim says the differences are - in peak power, and in power curve. its a simple experiment but i cant seem to get one person to actually speak up, which tells me most people on here with a custom cam prolly dont even know their specs, for that matter coulda got an e-303 thrown in their motor and wouldnt know the difference[8D]
See post #16. But you just lost all credibility when you mentioned a dyno sim. I asked for real world comparisions. Your computer program is a joke.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

thats like sayin **** > a$$ .... and noone can really make that call lol...
i was being sarcastic LOL, and anyways poon > **** or *** (we BETTER all agree on that)

Unless you're my77stang, in which case man *** > all.

HA!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

HELL NO!
quote]ORIGINAL: my77stang

in the name of science, research, and proving a point to myself and probabl other MF members - anyone with a custom ground cam please post your lift/duration/centerline so i can do some research.

Thanks!

*edit* i anticipate + .600 solid lift radical grinds used in straight up drag cars to be worth getting custom, but anything in the .500 - .600 hyd. street driver range to be a waste of money over choosing the best "out of the box" cam available for your application.

we'll know soon enough [8D]

[/quote]

Quick Reply: Submit Your Custom Cam Specs