5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! coolant in motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:49 PM
xstfrancisx

Default HELP! coolant in motor

so i tried to put a new TB on and the gasket ended up being too big and while not knowing and trying to get the idle right i let a s*it load ofcoolant into the engine, that was leaking between the EGR and the TB andgetting sucked intothe engine,now i put the stock TB back on with a new gasket and the car is running horrible and keeps shuting off, am i screwed or can i run it and hopefully burn it out its been shooting out of the exhaust but the car was running so bad i just shut it off for now
Old 05-19-2007, 07:01 PM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! coolant in motor

You need to change the oil ASAP!!!! Maybe need new tune up parts, plugs, O2 sensors. Do you have cats?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:03 PM
xstfrancisx

i can do that, but should it be good or should i be awaiting for something to blow?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:57 PM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

How long have you run the motor with the anti-freeze in it? You shouldn't run it because you have a good chance of seizing it up, and then you're in trouble. Check this link out I hope it helps explain things...
https://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=77287
Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

check your oil to see how much you are over first, then change it
Old 05-19-2007, 11:29 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Wait a minute guys... he said the coolant got sucked into the intake. The only way coolant could get into the oil is if it leaked past the piston rings! Depending on how much got sucked into the intake will determine how much got past the rings and into the oil. I would definitely change the oil, but I think only a small amount of coolant got into the oil if any. He actually had a better chance of hydraulically locking the motor because water doesn't compress and he could've bent a rod/rods... (worst case scenario). As far as it coming out the tailpipe... that was probably just condensation in the exhaust, not coolant. My opinion is that it pooled up in the intake and it's going to take some time for it to burn all of it out. If this was my car, I'd change the oil,driveit for about 10 miles, then change the oil again and hope that the problem is fixed.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:18 AM
xstfrancisx

thanks for the reply

but seriously it wasnt just condensation, it was actually shooting out the exhaust, my exhaust dumps before the rear end and there was coolant spitting out in puddlespast the tail of the car and into the road
Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

OK, if that is the case, you might have problems. Like I said above, you may have damaged the motor (bent rods or broken rings) When a fluid such as water is in the cylinders, it won't compress like air will, so when the piston comes up and the water doesn't compress, it has no where to go so the rods bend or the rings break. This is referred to as hydraulically "locking" the motor. This will either clear up on it's own or you may be looking at rebuilding your motor. I wish you luck.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:58 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

i really hope you didnt hydro-lock it.... that would suck
Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 AM
xstfrancisx

i dont think im starting it anymore, i tried numerous times so it looks like this week well be filled with lots of taking around and pulling back together, hopefully with no rebuilting

Quick Reply: HELP! coolant in motor