5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

paint the bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

Default paint the bay?

i got bored today so, we swapped the plates over from my stang to a old beater (81 chevet 1.6L) and took out the 4 banger engine and tranny, im, not going to say how long it took b/c that would just be enbarrising j/k . probably not gunna put the 351 in for a while yet b/c parts still have to come in yadda, yadda. so i figured i should paint the engine bay blackto make the alumiunum colored engine stand out more and look clean....rather than the navy blue it is now [:@][:'(].

so can i paint the bay myself? if so what kind of paint works the best? if anyone else has done this before it would realy help alot!

-thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: paint the bay?

It all depends on what you want from your paint and how much you prep for it. With a lot of prep work, you could use just about anything. I didnt care, so I just put some flat black rustoleum on to prevent rusting.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

It all depends on what you want from your paint and how much you prep for it. With a lot of prep work, you could use just about anything. I didnt care, so I just put some flat black rustoleum on to prevent rusting.
i was thinking a semi-gloss black....and ya i would have to sand everything im guessing?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90mustang5.0

i got bored today so, we swapped the plates over from my stang to a old beater (81 chevet 1.6L) and took out the 4 banger engine and tranny, im, not going to say how long it took b/c that would just be enbarrising j/k . probably not gunna put the 351 in for a while yet b/c parts still have to come in yadda, yadda. so i figured i should paint the engine bay blackto make the alumiunum colored engine stand out more and look clean....rather than the navy blue it is now [:@][:'(].

so can i paint the bay myself? if so what kind of paint works the best? if anyone else has done this before it would realy help alot!

-thanks in advance
dont use water based paint, it will run if it gets wet

and how is this 5.0 tech related?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I went out, bought the some stuff to clean (and prep) the walls....got some paint (in a can).....all ready to paint during my H/C/I.....

I chickened out....after I tore up my motor, I was too scared to take the time to paint....I just wanted to get everything back together.......I regret it now, especially since my car is black and my bay is teal........so DO IT!!

If everything is out, take the day or two to paint it....I went to Napa....talked to a paint guy, and he recommended some great prep stuff and paint.

Stick with a flat black to hide any imperfections....and Good Luck!!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

I went out, bought the some stuff to clean (and prep) the walls....got some paint (in a can).....all ready to paint during my H/C/I.....

I chickened out....after I tore up my motor, I was too scared to take the time to paint....I just wanted to get everything back together.......I regret it now, especially since my car is black and my bay is teal........so DO IT!!

If everything is out, take the day or two to paint it....I went to Napa....talked to a paint guy, and he recommended some great prep stuff and paint.

Stick with a flat black to hide any imperfections....and Good Luck!!
ah that sucks you didnt paint it....your notch is so awsome!! iunno if ima do flat black....i found a pic of gloss and it looks so nice and shiny, i'll try find it
Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

here it is, i found it on a page in google and the guy gave no info on his build like at all

Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Wow, this is hopefully going to be a great thread. I'm buying my fox this week with a red engine bay! Take a look at the picture below. Anyway, how long did it take you to get the whole motor out? Do you have a lift and an engine stand?If somebody knows the steps to paintplease help because I would love to paint my bay black for the time being until I can fully take the motor out and paint the whole thing the same grey
Old 05-21-2007, 04:03 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

ya lift, engine stands...i got everything, still not telling how long it took ..sorry , they shouldnt take more than a few hours at most anyways.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

FYI, High Temp Rostoleum isnt gasoleen' resistant. Does finre against water though. I think their non High Temp stuff doesnt run from gas though.

Quick Reply: paint the bay?