5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

idle problems, ran search frist!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:34 PM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

Default idle problems, ran search frist!!!

I have read the past posts and cannot find the answer. the past posts talk about the iac, tbs, collant tems sensor, timing and base idle. the tbs, iac ant the coolant temp sensor have been replaced, along with the base idle and the timing being adjusted. the car still dies when I start it after it has sat for around 5 hours. If it sits for anyamout of time after that it will not die and stay running. I think that the "memory" in the computer is being deleted after some time, but it is not my battiery because my radio always has the same setting and the car cranks with no prolbems. also anyone got any ideas or thoughts on how to fix my idle prolbem?

Also, what shoud my idle speed be set at? I did the idle like this article says.(http://www.muscularmustangs.com/idlereset.html)
Old 12-23-2004, 03:05 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: idle problems, ran search frist!!!

whats your tps voltage koeo? hows your fuel filter, air filter, ignition tune?
Old 12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

since it seems to have just a window of time in which it starts and dies I don't think it would be the ecu.. if you said it started hard at any point after it had sat for an given amount of time than I'd think you might be onto something there... but I am unsure of how Mustangs react when the ecu is reset.. I know on my Supra it idled poorly and or stalled for several miles before adaptations would set in again...

Does the car run normal if it has been left sitting just an hour or two? do you have to get the car hot first before this happens? I am thinking you're having a fuel pressure problem...

Old 12-24-2004, 03:23 AM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

fuel filter, air filter, and ingition all new. my tps voltage is set at .989. If the car sits for one or two hours it is fine, but here lately it has been getting real cold here and it is getting worse.

i think fuel pressure makes some sence, does anyone know what pressure should be stock? and how to tell if it is the pump or the regulator?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:27 AM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

i was reading my first post and what I wanted to say was if the car is still somewhat warm it will run fine but if it is completely cold the first time I crank it it will die. the second time is will run just fine. sorry for the mess up..
Old 12-24-2004, 01:13 PM
88GT40
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem bro, i am going to change the cooloant temp sensor just cause i'm suspsicious of it, but we may have a vacuum leak i'm almost positive i do. there is also a sensor i believe is called the act, air charge temp this adjusts the fuel flow during the time that the engine is cold or to something of that effect, i dont have my mustang book with me but i have been trying to research what possible problems could be causeing this. i have more car issues right now than i care to deal with but i'm just gonna tackle one at a time until everything is good