5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Crankshaft play- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:53 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Crankshaft play- need advice

I just brought my car to a shop to have them check the vibration I've been having since I did H/C/I. Just to give a quick description of the problem, I had everything enginewise installed in my signature. It ran fine for 2 days, then after I did a burn out, the whole car started vibrating like crazy whenever I rev the engine. Clutch in or out, rolling or not, in gear or not etc. Well, after replacing the balancer, all clutch components with a new flywheel, checked the energy suspension mounts etc, it still vibrates. Well, they called me and said there is a little bit of play in the crankshaft and I have a slight rocker tick. They also said there might be other issues like the flywheel being off balance, even though its new, which I know is possible. I have a few questions. Can I have them replace the crankshaft and bearings and be ok as long as everything else inside is ok? Would anything else need replaced? What should this job cost? Could anything else be damaged? I didn't drive the car hard after the vibration started and I only drove it maybe 50 miles after that to get home and to the shop. Any advice would help! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Crankshaft play- need advice

eek... not good.

worse case scenario = new block
Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

They need to define a little bit of play. The crank is supposed to have some end play, or end thrust. As far as the problem.....uhhh? As far as what will cost what and what it needs, you need to find out what the problem is first. Are you sure the springs in the heads support the cam you used? Maybe you floated the valves and bent something?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

i'd start looking into a new shortblock
Old 05-22-2007, 02:12 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

They need to define a little bit of play. The crank is supposed to have some end play, or end thrust. As far as the problem.....uhhh? As far as what will cost what and what it needs, you need to find out what the problem is first. Are you sure the springs in the heads support the cam you used? Maybe you floated the valves and bent something?
I would imagine that the heads and cam would work together. I had Ed Curtis grind a custom cam to the specs of the bolt ons I am using. The heads and cam went in at the same time. But I guess that still cold have happened. I definately could have bent something. I can tell you that after this, there was a dramatic power loss too.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

i'd start looking into a new shortblock
If I had to get one, do you have a recommendation on where to get one from? I imagine I could use all my bolt ons and accy's but just need the block, and internals, right? Can't I get a 331 already balanced with internals and just bolt everything on and be good to go? (considering I make sure everything is compatible and I have enough fuel etc)
Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

That play could just mean mains have gone out of it... A crank kit will fix that, or just have yours grinded,just make sure you plastiguage everything before you put it in... While the motor is torn down, just have them to stick the flywheel and balance on and make sure its balanced...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Also, when you put it all together, did you make sure your valvetrain geometry was correct... Check your pushrod lenth??? Adjust the rockers correctly??? Use hardened push rods???
Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kev2369

Also, when you put it all together, did you make sure your valvetrain geometry was correct... Check your pushrod lenth??? Adjust the rockers correctly??? Use hardened push rods???
When it was installed, I had them check the pushrod length and I ordered hardened ones for my heads. I hope the guy adjusted the rockers right! He was a Ford tech for quite some time and he had it apart a few times to adjust them and tighten them since there is a rocker tick. He also grinded the covers to get more clearance but it still ticks a little.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

wait . find what the problem is first. maybe pull the valve covers etc. you may just have a warped/bent push rod. are the push rods correct length?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft play- need advice