5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

prochargers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
devstang91

Default prochargers

well guys i gotta question for some of you. kinda looking for some advise basically. i own a 1991 ford mustang lx with the 5.0 and the stock 3.73 rear end. im seeking some additional power here and was thinking about going with a procharger system... i dont have a lot of money and was wondering if i should go with a supercharger or turbo charger. i believe that a turbo would provide me with more power at the high end of my gears which is what i am looking for. please leave me some input and help a mustang guy out. any info is appreciated good bad or insulting lol
the more i know the better it will be. and along with gettinga super or turber charger, is there anyhting else i should be replaceing to get full power out of it such as fuel injectors?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM
buget94gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: prochargers

you will have to change alot of stuff if you want it to run right. i would go with a supercharger. there is to many factors to deal with a turbo. to many things to go wrong. superchargers are simple and easy. and yes bigger fuel injectors and i would go with a new distributor, coil, plugs, and wires. and no mustang came stock with 3.73s.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

i don't think ur mustang had stock 3.73 gears in it
Old 05-22-2007, 11:13 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

your stang probably has 2.73s in it if theyre stock. i would go with 24# injectors. get a bigger TB too. if the money allows it, put in a better intake manifold, and some heads and cam. and a new exhaust.its going to take more than you think. and i'd say don't go above 11psi on a stock engine.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Technically, with a procharger system you don't need to replace anything. The kits will come with absolutely everything you need to get it up and running (using an FMU.) That is exactly what i did at first. And Pro50SC did basically the same thing.

Since then, I have actualyl upgraded the pump, injectors, and MAF but that's ebcause I got sick of using the FMU... that and I wanted to make sure the nitrous had enough pressure.

But if you're looking to save money, go with teh Procharger over the turbo. You can get a non-intercooled kit for about $2600 or so.

BTW, just for the hell of it I priced out powerdynes last week. Not because I wanted one but because I was curious how much they were asking for them now. For my car, the Powerdyne is actually more expensive than the Procharger! Couldn't believeit.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:17 AM
devstang91

eh sorry bout sotck 3.73 weather it is or isnt stock lol i know its 3.73 though lol and i do have bbk headers flow exhaust and k&n air filters goin that i didnt mention.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

get a kenne bell and call it done. the kit comes with almost everything you'll need. do h/c/i swap and you dont have "stock 3.73" gears
Old 05-22-2007, 11:29 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Mayb it's a "stock" rearend from a truck
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: devstang91

well guys i gotta question for some of you. kinda looking for some advise basically. i own a 1991 ford mustang lx with the 5.0 and the stock 3.73 rear end. im seeking some additional power here and was thinking about going with a procharger system... i dont have a lot of money and was wondering if i should go with a supercharger or turbo charger. i believe that a turbo would provide me with more power at the high end of my gears which is what i am looking for. please leave me some input and help a mustang guy out. any info is appreciated good bad or insulting lol[:-]
the more i know the better it will be. and along with gettinga super or turber charger, is there anyhting else i should be replaceing to get full power out of it such as fuel injectors?
A procharger is a supercharger, procharger is just the brand like paxtonor powerdyne... Procharger is probably one of the higher end chargers that are available but are priced pretty reasonable...

I'd start withheads, cam, intake first because your stock heads and intake will hold you way back when putting acharger on them...If you're looking toput a charger on, you might wannaconsider building a goodrotating assembly if you wanna run much boost. A stock engine will handle low boost, but low boost eliminates the purpose of having a charger because you don't get the full effect from it...

As far as boost, if you're thinking on 6-8pds, you better be looking for an intercooler cuz itdetonate... Thats way too much hotair going into theengine... But if you're gonna buy acharger, buy akit so that you have everything designed for your setup and all the parts will be matched so that you have some safety with thesetup... good luck
Old 05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I was just on ebay like not 10 mins ago. Search "Vortech" in ebay motors section. There are a ton of em on there right now that are used. Since cost is an issue for you as it was for me, you might look into buying used. I got my Vortech V-1 S-Trim for $1,475 shipped to my door. It is came complete with everything I needed and a couple extra things too. So if you aren't going to get a Procharger, I would definitly look at Vortech. Prochargers are the "hot ticket" though thats for sure, if you get one you might as well get one with the intercoolerwith it. Stay away from the P600B's stick to either a P1SC or a D1SC.

Quick Reply: prochargers