80mm maf off a lightning - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #11  
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 80mm maf off a lightning

+1 on keeping the stock one. I only upgraded when I finally had to, and that was because I was pegging it at 4000 RPM.
samseed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #12  
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: creekrat

Would it really be beneficial to run an 80 or 90 mm MAF with 19lb injectors? Sounds like overkill to me.
When considering Flow Capacity, the 90mm LMAF is overkill for most applications...
However, Capacity is not the only benefit of the LMAF. The newer MAF meters are better designs, which means they are more accurate. This is due to a better understanding of how the air flows through the meter, and how to best sample from that air. The 90mm LMAF is especially accurate in the lower rpm/load ranges, where drivability problems are most likely to surface.

Having more Flow Capacity will not cause any problems.
Having a more accurate meter will make the car run better!

Even if you have a completely bone stock 5.0, the LMAF is one of the best MAF options available...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: preciousroy

lightnings have 42#injectors, so that maf is calibrated for 42's
Again,
This comment is wrong.
Ford did not calibrate ANY MAF meters for an injector size. Ford calibrated its MAF meters for the computer.
Only the aftermarket MAF meters are calibrated to an injector size.

My intention here is not to offend, but rather to improve the understanding of a confusing subject.

jason
jasonvri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #13  
AdderMk2
Banned

Quote:
ORIGINAL: preciousroy

lightnings have 42#injectors, so that maf is calibrated for 42's
you guys are seriously thickheaded....

stock ford maf's do not have a "calibration" they have a voltage curve which needs to be set into the ECM so it can be read properly. Any "calibrated" maf's that you buy, only send false data to the ECM to trick it into sending less fuel due to the larger injectors.

The reason you need a tune with an LMAF is because its voltage curve is different than out stock maf's so the ECM can not read it properly, and your car will not run right.
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #14  
Scorpio_5.0

How can a better, more accurate reading (from MAF) wont make the car run better ? I mean I understand it wont cut 2 sec on 1/4 mile time but if it can optimize the mixture air/fuel i would have guess that it would had optimize the compression too...(maybe its too much unnoticiable thats why you said it wont make the car run better)

Thank you for helping me clearing that thing out !
Scorpio_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #15  
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Scorpio_5.0

How can a better, more accurate reading (from MAF) wont make the car run better ? I mean I understand it wont cut 2 sec on 1/4 mile time but if it can optimize the mixture air/fuel i would have guess that it would had optimize the compression too...(maybe its too much unnoticiable thats why you said it wont make the car run better)
Could you re-phrase the question, or elaborate?
I'm not sure what you are getting at...

Whose comments are you responding to?

jason
jasonvri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #16  
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Thank you for helping me clearing that thing out !
Congratz. You have succeeded in confusing the **** outta me. I am completely lost and I'm not sure what you're even saying. Are youasking ifthe MAF will alter the compression ratio?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #17  
Scorpio_5.0

I meant : more accurate MAF will optimize the ``explosion phase`` ( i used compression word, my bad) leading to a better engine performance, right ?

Sorry, im french ...
Scorpio_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #18  
samseed101
6th Gear Member

A more accurate MAF more accurately measures the air that is actually flowing into the engine. And with a more accurate measurement of airflow, the computer will be able to inject the correct amount of fuel.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #19  
AdderMk2
Banned

Quote:

I meant : more accurate MAF will optimize the ``explosion phase`` ( i used compression word, my bad) leading to a better engine performance, right ?

Sorry, im french ...
the problem is that the computer is not properly programmed to understand what the LMAF is telling it.... which is why you need a tune
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #20  
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

everything i read says more air = more power so wouldnt a bigger maf like a 80 or 90 give me more power? a few people used the tern overkill to describe it but moreair cant hurt rite?
Stella94GT is offline   Reply With Quote