5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tranny went again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 AM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

Default tranny went again!

well my transmission is a freshly rebuilt t-5 with only 700 miles on it. i just currently put some new modes on the motor and i now have pretty close to 390fptq..i know that the t-5 is rated to handle up to 300 but i would of thought that it would of lastest a little longer then 700 miles.....this is what happened...pulled out normally in 1st and shifted to 2nd and floored it...the road then turned a little uneven and bumpy like little pot holes and i hit them right around the shifting point and then when i went to put it into third i heard a bang and chatter noise so i immediatley put it into neutral and then tryed to shift...i have all gears except 3rd...theres absolutly nothing there but you hear a loud chatter in every gear but 5th...i should of looked into getting a tremec but i didnt have the money to get one.....does this seem right to u guys that the tranny would go so quick with those number...?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:33 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: tranny went again!

ur suposed to break it in 1st dude.... its your fault that it took a **** on you, either ur fault or it was ****tly rebuilt....

break them in for 1000 miles buddy
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

not entirely his fault... it's depends on what broke, if the gear it's self sheared off teeth then it's prolly from hitting the bumps and shifting hard at the same time...

if the blocker ring borke then yes it's entirely his fault...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

well thanks for the confidence guys....yea i took it easy for a little while to break it in but im more then sure that me hitting the bumps in the road had somthing to do with it...at first when i hit them i thought that maybe my rear or alm. driveshaft broke from wheelhop but then it was a kick in the *** when i relized thatit went again...im taking it to the guy that built the tranny today..Hanlon Motorsports....hes suppost to be one of the best in the country...so im pretty sure it was a near perfect rebuild...but i dont kno we'll see what comes up from this
Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

but yea like u said i should of broke her in a little longer....but i got that H/C/I installed and the power was teasing me...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

off topic but how much PSI are you runnin
Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

hanlon is one of the best guys wirth t-5's i talked to the guy for a few hours one day when i was having problems with mine and noone could figure it out (3 shops me and my teacher have no idea what it was) and then he told me to try something and once i get the Ps pump on the car i'll know if it worked... i would trust anything he says... how much he charge u for a rebuid?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

is he who said what he thinks it was w. ur 5th gear?(lenny)

and yea man, shoulda broke it in a little longer. when all is said and done, let us know what the issue was
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

yea that guy is pretty good...im dropping it off to him tonight and its such a convenience that hes located only like 5mins from my house...i never knew he was there until my mustang guy informed me that he was going to take it over to one of his buddys and it ended up being Hanlon....but he charged me 700 for a COMPLETE.....oh and to answer cassidymustangs Q, im running stock pulley with a modified impellor getting 7psi
Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

my 5th gear huh??? i had problems with 2nd

Quick Reply: tranny went again!