5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

More Hp without more fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Scorpio_5.0

Default More Hp without more fuel...

I know that more power means more fuel spent, BUT what i want to know is what mods will give me the most Hp with less effects on fuel spending...

Can a 70mm MAF + 70-75mm TB without changing injectors will give Hp or its useless without injectors ?

Any other suggestions or ideas ?

Thank you !
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
MEM 302 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: More Hp without more fuel...

the throttle body is useless with the stock engine....i think they say the stock injectors are good till around 300 hp and after that u need bigger
Old 05-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Scorpio_5.0

Thx, so can just a bigger MAF like 70mm or 75mm or even LMAF 90mm will do a noticeable difference on 1/4 mile time ?

Or should i go straight with changing cams ?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You're talking about BSFC(brake specific fuel consumption) And the lower it is for the amount of power the better, as it's less fuel consumed. It's what race car engine builders strive for, among other things. In order to make more power and use as little fuel as possible you need a very well developed engine, proper heads/cam/intake/exhaust/ignition/compression etc. As far as what mods will give you that, it depends on a whole slew of variables, but in a general sense the smaller the part the better as long as it's not restrictive. The trick is balancing BSFC with burning enough fuel to make power with detonation. Part of the fun in building an engine
Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

buy a different car, thats the best way[8D]

or buy a turbo, as long as you are not driving the hell out of it, you will get identical gas milage
Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

no of the above. at least! swap heads on that. most likely youll wanna do h/c/i swap then you'll upgrade your tb and maf and all those goodies but when you get that far you'll max out your injectors or close so you'll need to upgrade those so basically doing the tb and maf now would be pointless.

if you want speed without upgrading fuel.....trick out your suspension and get some stickies. the car has more potential than you think. no use making your motor stronger than the next guy but it all depends on how much you can actually plant to the ground
Old 05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Suspension
Short throw shifter
70-77mm MAF
Exhaust
Intake
Heads
Cam, depending on which one you choose.
etc

However, if you do all of those bolt ons you're going to want other supporting mods and a tune. On their own, those won't jack mpg but will increase power or speed (speed is better than power!). Don't bother with a cam until you have intake and heads. Back to the tune thing though, after my h/c/i swap and a bunch of other junk I'm getting somewhere between 2 and 3 mpg less than I did stock. Not entirely sure, haven't been nice to it through a whole tank, and don't anticipate it happening soon!
As a final thought, a set of gears will, at least for a stick, increase city mileage due to you being able to use overdrive (5th) more. It will decrease a bit on the highway though
Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Scorpio_5.0

Thx a lot !

I wasent sure they did short throw shifter, ill do search on that [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Make the most out of the factory power. Electric fan, bigger air meter, aluminum driveshaft, underdrive pullies.
That's what's on my 93 coupe and it ran a 13.6@102. I like to claim the engine is still stock.

Also heard 93's made the least power.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:58 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

wrong information. same hp....measuerd differently compared to previous years. and i would like to call bs on that last statement. if all it was...was a coupe and thats all you had and nothing else....you werent running a 13.6

Quick Reply: More Hp without more fuel...