5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what do you think of my list so far?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 10:07 PM
5.0_stang

Default what do you think of my list so far?

ok well to start off my car is an 84 converted to a 90 gt. from the motor to the looks everything but the interior which i am working on. so far i have put on a cobra r hood saleen wing, rims, msd 7al2 with msd 8.5 wires and msd cap. have roller tips. frpp headers to an o/r h-pipe and exiting through flows with dumps. just got a red flexalite fan...looks pretty sweet. also my car is carbeurated, edelbrock. i was told that there is a bit of a cam from the guy i bought it from. replaced the engine with a lot of new parts first off before any mods. total investment so far including car is about $2,000. i will soon be doing pulleys and 3.73 gears. ac and smog have all been removed. then i am going to work on the suspension. how does this set-up soind so far? what do you guys think that my estimated hp will roughly be and what about the quarter.....with the gears that is? tell me what else you think that i should add to my list....open to all suggestions. thanx!
Old 12-25-2004, 10:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what do you think of my list so far?

first off I would try to find out exactly which cam the guy you bought it from had installed in the engine as this is very important to know in order to recommend any future changes. what intake manifold does it have? since you overkilled the ignition with the 7al2, you might as well go for a MSD billet distributor too. some good heads like the AFR 165's would also be a good addition also.
making a cold air intake to get cold air to the carb would be a good idea also, there may be kits available for this, just don't know since I don't have a carb myself and haven't looked for any kits. when you do the gears, get a full rear end rebuild kit with all new bearings for both the differential and axles and have the posi rebuilt also or replace it with a high performance one like an Auburn or Eaton unit.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:35 PM
5.0_stang

i forgot that i have an edelbrock rpm intake manifold. when i have the gears installed i was going to have the wholde thing rebuilt....why do you say that i have overkilled my ignition system? i have a super coil also. but i did not but the msd ignition as it was way too expensive for me, i trader an rx-7 for it. what about 1/4 times?
Old 12-25-2004, 10:40 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the 7AL2 is really a full bore racing ignition with features you will probably never use unless you make it a full time race car. the 6AL would have been plenty and costs much less too.
if the car weighs about what it did stock, I would say you might be somewhere in the 14's with it in the quarter depending upon which gears you have in it now and what tires you run on it at the strip.