5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strange.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 12:40 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default Strange.........

A few days ago, I got on the car pretty good. I was doing a 2nd gear dry burnout to be more specific. Shortly after that, I began smelling something like a burning odor. I had had a leaf get caught in my headers a while back and was thinking that it might just be that again. Well, several members of my club and I drove up to Tanglewood for the Festival Of Lights. we waited in line like 2 hours to get in and I smelled the odor periodocly. We get half way through the park and pull over at a restroom/concesion place. I go to start my car back and nothing happened. It tried to turn over and everything, but just wouldn't spin over. Acted exactly like a dead battery.

Well, I get security to come out with a jumper box and jumped me off. Car ran fine after, but I noticed on the way home that I was running like 10 volts max.

This has happened to me before. About a year ago, I sarted smelling a burning odor and had problems starting the car. I replaced the alt and the batery, just to come to find out that the negative battery cable was shorting out. Well, I looked at the cable this time. The main cable is fine, but that smaller gauge cable that ties into the neg cable apears to be shortin out. I haveb;t tracked it back to the place of origin yet, but I believe it is in there with the coil and starter relay somewhere.

Anyways, do any of you have any idea why I would be shorting this out? And why did it do it when I was romping on it pretty good? I am normally able to figure out almost any car issue, but this wone has me stumped. ???[&:]
Old 12-27-2004, 01:21 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Strange.........

prolly the coil, when u womp on it u increase voltage going to the coil, maybe that has seomthign to do with it[&:]
Old 12-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

i was having some starting issues and I checked my starter, one of the long bolts that holds the starter together fell out, check the starter good, check that alt. again. Start the car and put a volt meter on the battery and make sure that it is @ close to 14 volts. If not its probably the alternator.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

I think the coil is fine, but I might go ahead and replace it with a MSD anyway. It is currently an Accel coil.
But I will definetely check the starter.
Anyone else?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Now you've done it.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:08 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

Now you've done it.
???[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 12-27-2004, 11:21 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4fit?

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

Now you've done it.
???[sm=dontgetit.gif]
lol, nm. It was a joke. I was saying now you've ****ed the car up. Oh well... Good luck with the car man, I have no clue on the problem.[sm=imsorry.gif]
Old 12-27-2004, 11:31 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Nah, it's not f'ed up yet. But, when that day comes, there will be a monster 331 and c4 taking it's place.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

C4 [sm=smiley20.gif] Ima leave this thread alone now, I don't want to ***** on it.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:35 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

beacuse you have a weak or cracked engine mount