5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lots of questoins.... finally finishing up the h/c/i

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:17 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: lots of questoins.... finally finishing up the h/c/i

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I'm currently using Platinum plugs and they are working great so far.

For the smog pump i used a rubber cap and a screw to plug the two vacum lines, and 5/8" bolts cut off at 3/4" and some washers to plug the back of the heads. You need to use the plugs that came with the heads for the front of the heads so you can bolt your accessory brackets back up.

As for the EGR, if you plug it without disabling it in the computer you will throw a light, i believe it's the check engine.
so i can go to a hardware store and by some grade 5 or 8 bolts that match the threads to the accessory braket bots and the just screw them in back???

the car will still run even if EGR is off rite??? or just i hold out on that??? it seem like it could be a ez 1 hour project later on...

ORIGINAL: TwoToned306

Yea that plug should have came with your heads, might want to call about that.
heads are stock gt-40s from my cobra ported the hell out of....

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

CrazyCobraSpeed: There is a drain plug on the side of the block... unscrew it and drain the entire block... flush out the radiator with water, and refill your cooling system with NEW coolant

Onyx: You've only had the car together for a week.... and you should swap out to some autolite copper resistor plugs.
which side of the block adder?? and it was a lil rusty do i didnt know if i need to run something thru it to clean up hte rust???

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

https://mustangforums.com/m_3264510/tm.htm

i used autoliet 25's in my old stang with no problems
thanks for the link that thoroughly answered the dizzy question

as for hte plugs u used those with your nitrous rite?? what to gap them at??

also i know hte vacuum lines to the smog pump need to be block but i want to know how?? also how to block the hole in the mid pipe that the smog **** go in.....

thanks for all info so far and nemore that comes
Old 05-27-2007, 02:34 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

they sell a egr block off plate in any mustang catalog. I use autolites as well, You should flush the whole cooling system including heater core, block and radiator, they sell the kit at any auto parts store, might need to clean the reservior as well
Old 05-27-2007, 02:52 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

The bolts you need to get to plug the smog are not the same as the accessory bracket bolts. In the front of your heads you will notice little plugs screwed into the big hole that allow you to screw your accessory bracket into it. You need a bolt the size of the plug, they're 5/8"-11 bolts. The shortest they sold at Home Depot was 2" so i had to cut it down to 3/4".

I would wait on the EGR removal. If/when you get the car tuned they will most likely disable it for you, then you can figure out how to plug it up.

The vacum lines for the smog pump can be plugged a few different ways. For one of mine i used a screw that screwed into it tightly, and the other one i used a rubber cap that i just pushed over the end of the connector.

As for the coolant drain plugs in the block, there is one on each side of the block. On the drivers side its towards the rear and on the pass. side it's towards the front, they take an alan wrench.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:05 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Oh yeah, about your midpipe tube. Adder gave me this idea and it worked out great. If you have an old locking wheel lug, the ones that are round, they fit in the pipe perfect and i just used the hoseclamp to hold it in place. mint.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you had a GT, not a cobra... the GT-40 heads take a autolite 764
Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

i think im goin to leave the EGR on for now... ill try to de-rust it and paint it up alil so it doesnt look like a$$ cuz everything else got a fresh paint of black or red.... and thanks adder for hte plug suggestion.... what should i gap them at???

and i still dunno what to use to block the mid pipe... i dont have ne old locking lug just hex lugs which i dont htink will work... ne other ideas???

and also what kinda caps were those that u used for you vacuum like onyx... and also are those bolt for the heads to block the holes in the bak is that for a 165AFR head or will it also work with the stock gt-40s we have?? cuz im sure i can find a 5/8x11 bolt... thats just a course 5/8" at ne hardware store if im not mistake.... and their are 3 holes on the bak of hte each head which of hte 3 gets block??
Old 05-28-2007, 03:06 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed
i think im goin to leave the EGR on for now... ill try to de-rust it and paint it up alil so it doesnt look like a$$ cuz everything else got a fresh paint of black or red.... and thanks adder for hte plug suggestion.... what should i gap them at???

and i still dunno what to use to block the mid pipe... i dont have ne old locking lug just hex lugs which i dont htink will work... ne other ideas???

and also what kinda caps were those that u used for you vacuum like onyx... and also are those bolt for the heads to block the holes in the bak is that for a 165AFR head or will it also work with the stock gt-40s we have?? cuz im sure i can find a 5/8x11 bolt... thats just a course 5/8" at ne hardware store if im not mistake.... and their are 3 holes on the bak of hte each head which of hte 3 gets block??
yes the EGR looks like ***, i said screw it for now...

Anything round and metal should work, u might be able to find a large bolt, just take the tube into a hardware store, then just clamp it with the hose.

It was just a lil rubber cap my dad had laying around. You can probably find some just liek it at advance, its just a tight fit over the vacuum line, i just pressed it on. and like i said before for the other one i just found a screw laying around the garage that fit into it snug. I'm pretty sure they work in any 5.0 head, it's the same thread that the plug screws into in the front of the head. Yes it is a 5/8" course thread bolt. You screw it into the head where the smog tube would normally go into, to plug the holes... i'm 99% sure only one hole on the back of the heads will accept a 5/8" bolt. If my memory serves it's the holes to the far outside of each head when they are mounted on the engine.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

you had a GT, not a cobra... the GT-40 heads take a autolite 764
i realize that i was jsut recommending a goos spark plug. i was just saying look into autolites in general
Old 05-28-2007, 03:00 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

what should i gap my plugs at????? and for that mid pipe i got a half inch bolt that fits in there.... should i put a little silicone around hte top just to help keep it air tright??? and the 5/8 11s arent fiting... im thinking it a 9/16 cuz the 1/2 i had was to small.... the 5/8 seem a lil to big... my dads out riding so im goin to have him grap 2 9/16 course by 3/4" i think the will fit.... im gettin bak to it please asnwer those few question... and i might be bak with more... thanks for all help fellas... im gettin excited its almost done!!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Interesting, maybe they make 2 different sizes. The 5/8" bolt seemed too big but it threaded in beautifully, sorry to steer you in the wrong direction.

Quick Reply: lots of questoins.... finally finishing up the h/c/i