5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hesitation at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Hesitation at WOT

When i do wot in my car, it hesitates kinda! The rpms jump and skip a few rpms. Its really noticible if you watch the rpms, it just skips alot. My step dad says i have a intake leak and i took it to meinieke and they said i have no intake leak but im pretty sure its doing that because of a intake leak. Its definatly noticible outside of the car, it kind of putters. When i start the car up in the morning it will take a while to start then start right up and die on me. After that i start it up and it starts fine. If i dont let it warm up long enough, from a dead stop( 5 speed) i let off the clutch to go and then it just sounds really bad, sounds like a go kart or something and then it finally picks up and drives normal. And its not me driving the 5 speed wrong, because it only does it in the morning.

I also have a problem with my headers, a while back a mechanic said the bolt on my flange was broken and a couple days after that i hit a speed bump and my car actually jerked. Could i be losing alot of power because of all of this ? What can i do to fix it?

Also..my check engine light keeps comming on. Oil pressure is kinda high, its around the A on normal. Other than that all the gauges are fine.

So much is going on with my mustang, and my money situation right now is kinda low so i dont know what to do!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:12 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Hesitation at WOT

You may have a vacuum leak that is causing the hesitation and rough idle. It would also be a good idea to clean the MAS with MAF sensor cleaner. Then clean your IAC with carb cleaner.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:18 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

Have you ever clean your mass air flow wire?
If not, get some electronics cleaner and spray it off.
When they get dirty it can really screw up what the computer is reading for air coming into the intake.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

the engine does look quite dirty, how do i clean off the mas? And where is it located?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:02 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Remember when you installed the CAI? It came with two metal tubes and you had to put a stock piece with a wire harness in the center. That piece is the MAF. The MAS is the sensor that sits inside of the MAF. If you take that off and look down teh tube, you will see two little wires hanging down into the tube. Those wiresare what you need to clean. The easiest way would be to remove the sensor from the MAF. If I recall correctly, you'll need a size T20 security torx bit to remove the sensor (someone pelase correct me if I'm wrong.)

Once the sensor is out, carefully spray it down with MAF sensor cleaner (you can get it at most parts stores.) Be careful not to damage the wires. I also recommend that you DON'T physically touch them with anything.

After you give them a good cleaning, reinsert the sensor in the housing and you should be good to go.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Remember when you installed the CAI? It came with two metal tubes and you had to put a stock piece with a wire harness in the center. That piece is the MAF. The MAS is the sensor that sits inside of the MAF. If you take that off and look down teh tube, you will see two little wires hanging down into the tube. Those wiresare what you need to clean. The easiest way would be to remove the sensor from the MAF. If I recall correctly, you'll need a size T20 security torx bit to remove the sensor (someone pelase correct me if I'm wrong.)

Once the sensor is out, carefully spray it down with MAF sensor cleaner (you can get it at most parts stores.) Be careful not to damage the wires. I also recommend that you DON'T physically touch them with anything.

After you give them a good cleaning, reinsert the sensor in the housing and you should be good to go.
i have no clue why i asked where its at, i must of had a brain fart. I knew exactly what it was haha.

Im definatly going to do that im pretty sure my job would carry that maf cleaning stuff.

If i clean them and it doesnt work out and its still running rough what could it be?

I know my headers are reaaaal messed up, it sounds real bad outside the car when im stepping on the gas. Kind of sounds like im in a race car or something.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Be careful if you're headers are truly that screwed up... could end up burning a valve.

If it still runs rough after the MAS cleaning, then clean your Idle Air Contril (IAC) with carb cleaner and put that back on.

Of course, all of this is assuming that you do NOT have a vacuum leak. You can check for that with a can opf carb cleaner as well. Spray it around every vacuum line and connection. Don't forget hte tree and the lines under the intake. Then check the intake gaskets themselves, etc. With the engine running, you'll hear it choke a bit when it sucks in the carb cleaner. And if you do hear that, then you know where the leak is.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 AM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

Open up your distributor cap and check and see if there is play on the shaft, or check if your distributor pickup coil is loose and moving around, i replaced my dist
after it was stalling at high rpm, the first dist shaft was loose my bearing was worn out, second dist my magnet was loose and hitting the shaft causing all kinds of havoc
number 3 is fine so far..
Btw I changed 3 dist because i bought them used rather than forking over $300 bills for an msd... oh well.