5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trickflow Top End Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Kingcater
2nd Gear Member

Default Trickflow Top End Kit

Can you just throw everything on....I'm trying to budget this project so that I have everything ready to install all at once...so I want to know what else I'll need to buy to make this run right....thanks guys

I used the search feature but found nothing....
Old 05-27-2007, 06:08 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Trickflow Top End Kit

A guy i know just installed the kit on his '95 GT. A few problems he ran into:

Timing Chain didnt fit
Needed a 1" spacer to clear the intake over the valve covers
Needed a cowl hood to clear the intake
Needed to refab his EGR tube to make it 1" longer (shouldnt be a problem on foxes)
His alternator hit the valve cover (not sure but might not be a problem on the foxes

as of now that's all i recall.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

The TFS top end kit is not worth the money. Many of the members on this forum have installed it and only made 270-290rwhp.

My cobra with a completely stock h/c/i made 276 with tuning.... you can do MUCH better
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Kingcater
2nd Gear Member

So adder what would you reccomend? I noticed Anderson Ford Motorsport makes power packages that I could go with it.......
Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 1Fast92FiveOh

So adder what would you reccomend? I noticed Anderson Ford Motorsport makes power packages that I could go with it.......
I honestly dont think you should get anything other than calling camshaft innovations and speaking to Jay Allen... He will recommend a full combo for you, and sell it to you... which will be designed around what YOU want from the car... not what some company thinks you want
Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Does Not Exist
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

My cobra with a completely stock h/c/i made 276 with tuning.... you can do MUCH better
take that all you 94/95cobra haters.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Kingcater
2nd Gear Member

Where is he based out of....?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

What is your budget, beyond buying the parts/kit? You need some big things, in addition to a top end rebuild like that. First off, you need supporting mods. Some are just to see the potential of the rebuild, but some also absolutely necessary. If you want to make power you need to get a different mass airflow sensor, throttle body, exhaust, etc. You also need to give the engine the ability to deliver enough fuel. This comes in the form of a larger fuel pump and larger injectors. If you're running lean up top, you'll have problems. Finally, you NEED to get a tune afterward. Expect to pay around 5-600 for this. Additionally, there's about $200 of random gaskets, replacement bolts/etc, fluids, and so on that you should plan on spending. If you only have money for the basic parts do NOT start the teardown, unless you want to be off the road for a long time. In other words, expect to pay between 4 and 5k for something like that... gotta pay to play

I have the kit, by the way... on my '91 I didn't run into any of the problems Onyx's buddy had, and with the right supporting mods, a few extras, and a good build/tune I put down 302/317 at the wheels. That tends to be the exception though, not the rule. The kit is good for people who are new to this kind of thing, it eliminates all of the guesswork (things needed, pushrod length, etc). If I did something now I would have put together my own stuff, but back then I was new to performance and engine building, and decided that was the best route.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Kingcater
2nd Gear Member

I knew I would have to upgrade my fuel system...I'm just trying to figure out how much I need to budget myself to do this the right way....now that I look at it....I think I might as well build a 408 stroker since I'm going to have to upgrade everything else anyways....
Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boostin95cobra

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

take that all you 94/95cobra haters.
im not sure what i mean buy that the side of your car has a gt emblem on it if i am seeing that correctly....

and adder didnt u half a few bolt ons with that 276??? mayb not but i thot u had... oh well... im hoping for 325rwhp with my custom cam and ported gt-40s

dont get trick flow... its a waste of oyu cash... i got my cam form jay allen at camshaft innovations like adder said the car will hook u up... he wont rip u off either... understand that the bigger u wanna go the more it will cost tho... otherwise some afrs and a nice custom can and a explorer intake for hte junk yard.... that will get u no less that 300rwhp after a tune... and u wont spend more than 2000 for it so dont get trick flow

Quick Reply: Trickflow Top End Kit