5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Synchros Or Could It Be Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Synchros Or Could It Be Something Else?

Well when i shift from 4th to 3rd it grinds, now its doing it a little from 2nd to 3rd..and today it did it a tiny tiny bit back into 1st. It started doing it when my clutch was going bad so i thought it was just the clutch, now its still doing it after the clutch has been installed but doing it in different gears. I know most would say just dont downshift but i want to fix it and be able to drive it normaly. If it is the synchros im just going to rebuild the transmission, but i dont want to rebuild it if its just something else. I cant take the chance and take it to a shop to see what it is, im not trying to pay them to just look at the transmission and tell me something i already know. What else could it be? Or is it most definatly the synchros? Transmission has 117,xxx
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Synchros Or Could It Be Something Else?

I have the same problem...First to Second often grinds......and at a stand still I have a hard time slipping it into first and reverse.....

My buddy said it was the snychros....but I don't know sh*t about trannys...
Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Next time you're driving, let the rpm's fallback to 1k before you shift. If it doesn't grind, it's your sychro's. If it does still grind, it's a gear in your tranny.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i dunno how many times i/we have to say it.. .check the basics 1st... hows ur clutch adjustment and hows the trans. fluid? sounds like a clutch and or syncro prob.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

WRONG!!!!!! the gears are permenatly meshed and have no affect on grinding, unless it's the teeth that the syncro engauges with, and if thats the case it will act like a syncro problem
ORIGINAL: gspfunk

Next time you're driving, let the rpm's fallback to 1k before you shift. If it doesn't grind, it's your sychro's. If it does still grind, it's a gear in your tranny.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Either clutch adjustment or synchros. If its got the factory clutch quadrant in it, pull up on the clutch pedal until you feel a click. Adjustments done. If it still grinds, I'd bet the synchros.
-P.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

I have the same problem...First to Second often grinds......and at a stand still I have a hard time slipping it into first and reverse.....

My buddy said it was the snychros....but I don't know sh*t about trannys...
weird....I have the EXACT same problem....first to second grinds sometimes....not often....and sometimes I am jamming the stick for it to get into 1st or reverse....I also hear it kinda grind or something going into reverse....if u find any infor out please let me know...thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

also anyone know roughly how much it would be to get my synchros changed? thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

say i just replace the synchros, how do i buy them? As in, do i buy certain ones or do they come in a kit?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

comes in a kit, gonna be about 200 for parts. not the easiest thing in the world to do. if ur not confident trying it urself, pm 94gtcoupe, he rebuilds them

Quick Reply: Synchros Or Could It Be Something Else?