5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gettin ready to start the car up... FIRST TIME IN 2.75 months

Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default gettin ready to start the car up... FIRST TIME IN 2.75 months

ok i finally go the car bak together from my h/c/i have a few question b4 i turn the key tho

what is hte proper way to feel the radiator/block with radiator/water fluid mix....

also if there is nething u guys wanna add... like big things that often go unnoicted....

and what is the best way to play with hte idle to get it fairly smooth so it can be driven to the tuner??
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: gettin ready to start the car up... FIRST TIME IN 2.75 months

What I did was fill the radiator all the way up with 50/50 mix, Once the car is running and idleing, watch the level as the level drops, keep adding the fluid until it stops dropping. Always check for leake. Make sure before you start it that the TPS is adjusted properly, and that the timing is right on. I started with timing at 10* on initial start-up. Then when the car is running, adjust the idle with the idle air screw on the throttle body. Let it run and warm up to operating temp to be sure that everything is working properly. Drive itaround a little bit, then bring it home and recheck all of your nuts and bolts to be sure everything is nice and tight, also check the fluids again, engine oil, and all... Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

What I did was fill the radiator all the way up with 50/50 mix, Once the car is running and idleing, watch the level as the level drops, keep adding the fluid until it stops dropping. Always check for leake. Make sure before you start it that the TPS is adjusted properly, and that the timing is right on. I started with timing at 10* on initial start-up. Then when the car is running, adjust the idle with the idle air screw on the throttle body. Let it run and warm up to operating temp to be sure that everything is working properly. Drive itaround a little bit, then bring it home and recheck all of your nuts and bolts to be sure everything is nice and tight, also check the fluids again, engine oil, and all... Hope this helps.

just one question about that what is the proper position for the tps???
Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Man, mine was apart for 5 months Just fill up the radiator and other fluids before starting. I had to mess with my timing and idle a little bit but that was all i had to do to get it to run pretty smoothly.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:17 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

Well you must have a voltage reader that you can ***** the wire with. It should be adjusted while the engine is not running with the key turned to the on position. Try to get it to as close to .90-1.0 as possible. Try not to go over 1.0. This will give you the optimum throttle response.

If you never did it when you put on the Throttle body, now is the time.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:31 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

mine was sitting for close to 6 years fired right up without any problems[8D]

Built
Ford
Tough

indeed .....
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 AM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

and retorque your rocker bolts after 2 weeks
Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

Well you must have a voltage reader that you can ***** the wire with. It should be adjusted while the engine is not running with the key turned to the on position. Try to get it to as close to .90-1.0 as possible. Try not to go over 1.0. This will give you the optimum throttle response.

If you never did it when you put on the Throttle body, now is the time.

what kinds of tool is it and how do u adjust it... i have a voltmeter... is that all i need or what??
Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

The TPS will read the same as long as it is between .60-.99 volts IIRC.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:13 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Prelube your valvetrain, and prime your oil pump (1/4" bit with extensions will do, duct tape it together good so nothing drops into your pan! Ford pump needs to be spun CCW)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gettin ready to start the car up... FIRST TIME IN 2.75 months