MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   gear install complete kinda...*COMPLETE!!* (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/297917-gear-install-complete-kinda-complete.html)

Jon82387 06-01-2007 01:32 AM

gear install complete kinda...*COMPLETE!!*

well i finally got done puttin my 3.73s in, my first gear install ever!! well i went by what information i had guides all that and well the car is muchhhhhhhh faster gears are best mod ever :D:D:D.
I do have one problem tho... since it was my first install i wasnt sure what to expect (car wouldnt move after finishing? idk somethin crazy like that) but after i got em all complete took it out for a test the gears are whining when i let off the gas [:@]anyone have any idea what i did wrong? and any idea if this will cause major damage to the ring/pinion?(pinion depth?? bearing preload??) im pretty sure i got the backlash right used mic all that got it within specs. Anyyyywayss if anyone has any ideas let me know i think ill eventually tear it appart again dunno how soon but sometime it was a great learning experience ill say that thanks for all the help and support.

945LSTANG 06-01-2007 01:34 AM

RE: gear install complete kinda...

did u use white grease on the teethto make sure that the gears r meshing properly?

mattdel 06-01-2007 01:36 AM

could be improper backlash, but my money is that something isn't quite tight enough
backlash problems would whine all the time

Jon82387 06-01-2007 01:37 AM

ya i used the marking compound and from what i could tell i compared to the yukon gear installation instructions and the pattern seemed to be one of the acceptable ones

945LSTANG 06-01-2007 01:59 AM

do u have a loud exhaust? because if you do it could be drowning out the whine while u r accerating. try adjusting the backlash one more time.

Jon82387 06-01-2007 02:30 AM

ya i do have a loud exhaust(bassani equals/offroad bassani x/ bassani dumps) but the whine that im getting from letting off the gas i could tell for sure its pretty loud... compared to when im on the gas. Also is it required to put friction modifier in the dif when you put the new oil n stuff in? i soaked the new trac loc frictions in friction modifier for an hour at least but do you still have to put friction modifier in the case when filling?

mattdel 06-01-2007 02:35 AM

yes. i suggest not driving it anymore until you get friction modifier in there.

89blackonblack 06-01-2007 03:58 AM

thats why you pay a proffesional for gear install... but i know when i had mine done that the specs that came with the ford racing 3:73's in my kit where not quite right so the mechanic had to mess with the for a long time to get them perfect... threw it on the dyno right after and not the smallest noise out of them

94 G STANG 06-01-2007 04:46 AM

mine makes noise accelerating usually from 40-60, but yeah 3.73 kick ass
time hci

Jon82387 06-10-2007 07:59 PM

RE: gear install complete kinda...*COMPLETE!!*

well after all the trouble ive had i finally got them done. firstttt i went ahead setup them up best i could and installed them filled up the case started it went for test drive, well they worked but whined(they whined really bad and was a small vibration wasn't sure howbad the whinewas [:@]), so i told myself i could live with it for a while and id eventually take it all apart and redo them but the second day i have it together im out drivin gettin gas pull out i hear somethin fall from underneath(figure there goes my rear end [:@]) well pull over go see what it was it was a F#$#@N leaf spring off some1s car i didnt even see it in the road. so after that excitement i head home on the way i hear a pop..... so i get home look under my covers cracked and has a huge bulge in it, but the car still rolled and worked.... i let it sit about2 weeks now and finally pulled the cover off, get the cover off to find a bolt which i figured i was going to find anyways but the odd thing was it didnt go to anything in the rearend all bolts were accounted for so im thinkin wtf? then i remember that when i was puttin it all together i lost 1 of the new ring gear bolts (swore i cleaned the housing out and checked everything no clue how thehell it got in there) so i check all the gears everything seems fine no broken teeth or anything. NEXT!!! the vibration thing well i was wondering if i got the bearing preload right mebe that was the prob? turns out ya it was pulled the bolt off the pinion to find the crushsleeve not even touched at all..... so i run to jegs get me a solid crush sleeve slap it in there put everything back together anddddddddd now its pefect! barely any whine to it i can live with it anyways just happy everything turned out fine.

thanks for all the help and support!!