5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:38 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Default Procharger

Alright,
I just got a procharger for my car(95GT) and ill be putting it in soon. Does anyone have one of these and if so what boost would you suggest running, and how big of injectors would you recomend. Dont hesitate to respond, trust me, im intrested in what anyone has to say. Ill have the car dyno tuned at a the best local place, Archer Brother's Racing, but I want to make sure I set them up for success. Let me know what ever you think guys.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger

what else is done to the car?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:44 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

full exhaust, almost all the fuel(injectors are last), plug wires, cap rotor, underdrive pulleys, smog delete...nitrous, thatll be gone tho. Thats mostly it, bolt on stuff

Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I've got a procharger in my 95GT running 10 pounds of boost. You can probably get away with 30# but you may want to go a bit bigger or spike the pressure a bit if you make any other changes. Also, lose the underdrive pulleys because they will hurt more than they help now.

Do you have a manual or auto tranny? With an auto, you're gonna have to get an aftermarket tranny cooler too. They don't tell you that, but you'll need it.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

your gonna need a 255lph pump, just to be safe..
depending on the boost level, up to 42# injectors...
you would greatly benefit from doing heads/cam/intake, but since you already got the charger, i assume your just gonna put it on as-is.

anything over 5psi, get 42#'s. i wouldn't run more than 8psi without a good tune.
also, if you want to keep the nitrous, you could. talk to your tuner about a possible secondary fuel source, if you should need it.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Samseed,
what type fo fuel did they throw in with the kit? Its a stick so I'm not to worried. Also, lol i just so happend to pick up a set of free 30# ford racing injectors, slightly used, but the guys only deals with chevy and was offended they were even in his garge...lol what ever. What do ya think? you got the set up already, what else is done to yours? how'd you get by with the juice too?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

The only thing the kit came with that was fuel related was an FMU. That will let you spike the fuel pressure when under boost if you need to. So if you get into a situation where your injectors may be a bit too small, you can use this as a bandaid until you can get bigger injectors.

You can get away with running the nitrous still, just make sure that you downsize the jets because the boost will make the shot larger. it wouldnt' be uncommon to see a 100-shot end up at 150 or higher under boost. I'm jetted for a 75 shot but mine sprays around 110 on average.

if you have the stock MAF then chances are you are going to peg the meter. This means you are probably going to want a MAF calibrated to something larger than 19# injectors. Also, keep in mind that this is a blow through setup as opposed to a draw through. So you are going to want to get a blow through MAF if you can to get better accuracy.

Under 10 PSI and an intercooler isn't necessary, but they always help. Instead of a standard air to air intercooler, I use water / methanol injection (via simple washer fluid.) Other than that, I just have a shift kit, rebuilt tranny, ratchet shifter, bolt in roll bar, nitrous, suspension, 3.73 gears, 30# injectors, 255lph pump, Protube blow through MAF calibrated to 42# injectors, tweecer RT... that's all I can remember right now but i think I got everything.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If you wanted to see / hear it you can click on the link below my car in my sig.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Yeah I actually caught that on youtube by accident before. You know...procharger highly, highly recomends an intercooler for their superchargers, expecially the ones for our year cars. I dont have the info infront of me, but I know it had to do with detonation because the air would be way to hot otherwise. Anyways, your car is a 5.0 otherwise? Stock internals? I'll probly just go with the air to air intercooler, make things a bit easier on myself. Was ATI's fmu easy to install?-Lots of questions, I know..sorry

Also, where did you get your MAF? Ya think the 30 pounders I got will do?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:44 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

The methanol is a chemical intercooler. It cools the air as well as slightly increases the octane. So that completely eliminates detonation and can actually allow meto advance the timing even more.

Yup, all stock internals... It's all in the tune. Get a good tune and you'll be fine.

The FMU is real easy to install.

Got my MAf through a friend that owns a shop. he get it for me for $195 instead of the normal $255. But others I have seen with the same MAF got theirs from this website.

Quick Reply: Procharger