5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WTF Fuel pump...

Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default WTF Fuel pump...

I put a Walbro 190lph pump in my car a few weeks ago and all was fine until about a week ago my car started sputtering out of the blue then would clear up...thought hmmm. Then it basically shut down and started back up a couple times on the highway like the pump was cutting out. Then I noticed a lack of power all the time so today I said F it, dropped the tank and got ready to put my old one back in to test everything out and when I pulled the pump out, the hose clamp looks like it cut the hose between the pump and pickup. Looks like I might have found my problem...what do you guys think? Or should I just send my pump back and get another? Anyone else have a pump do this(shut off/cut out?)?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WTF Fuel pump...

Got pics? I wonder how it did that...
If it were me, I'd just buy some new hose and stuff her back in. I can't imagine that happening again, as long as everything's installed right. I'd give you a hand, but I'm back home for a bit.. Gas tanks are a pain!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

I put a Walbro 190lph pump in my car a few weeks ago and all was fine until about a week ago my car started sputtering out of the blue then would clear up...thought hmmm. Then it basically shut down and started back up a couple times on the highway like the pump was cutting out. Then I noticed a lack of power all the time so today I said F it, dropped the tank and got ready to put my old one back in to test everything out and when I pulled the pump out, the hose clamp looks like it cut the hose between the pump and pickup. Looks like I might have found my problem...what do you guys think? Or should I just send my pump back and get another? Anyone else have a pump do this(shut off/cut out?)?
If the hose between the pump and pickup is generic, just fix it and call it good. If not, get another one. You're getting air in the system. It's like drinking soda through a straw that has a small pinhole in it. The soda gets all fizzy from the air being introduced by the pinhole.

If that doesn't solve the problem, get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. Your's could be on its way out or can't handle the higher pressure presented by the pump.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

+1 fix the hose because thatll cause fuel pressure drops, Id also recommend you replace the fuel filter if you havent done that already. Had a plugged one on my DD probe that did the exact same thing as you were describing.
-P.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

No pictures yet..I will try and get some later... I think I will have to make a run to the parts store and get a hose and try it again. I don't want to have to drop the tank again if I don't have to. Thanks for wanting to comeup and get dirty...we will defintly have to meet up sometime this summer. You going to school next fall?

Anyone ever have a pump cut out like that? It just seems weird. The hole in the hose is the reason for the power loss I am sure, but I don't think it was causing the cutting out. Maybe I need a new relay?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

If the hose between the pump and pickup is generic, just fix it and call it good. If not, get another one. You're getting air in the system. It's like drinking soda through a straw that has a small pinhole in it. The soda gets all fizzy from the air being introduced by the pinhole.

If that doesn't solve the problem, get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. Your's could be on its way out or can't handle the higher pressure presented by the pump.
I got a new regulator Kirban, but I see what you mean. Thanks

P Zero, I put a new filter in it last year, but not since the pump swap maybe I will do that too.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Put in a new fuel line and a new filter and it seems to be good. It feels like it is back to normal, but I just put a 65mm Explorer TB on it to, so maybe better.(BTW the swap was easy, just a little moding and you are good to go)