5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i

does ne1 have ne ideas im at a loss... i need things to check for.... how can i narrow done the problem???
Old 06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
91 5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i

i am just finishing a head/intake install and the smoke should be the head gaskets melting to the block.
i am having the idle problem too, and i heard it might be the timing or 180 degrees off. are your spark plugs in the right order on the distributor?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Go borrow a coolant system pressurizer (I'm not sure of the "exact" name but you get the idea, remove the cap, attach the pump and pump it up to about 15 psi), and see if your cooling system is holding pressure. Is your radiator full of coolant? What's your timing set at?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

How long has it been blowing the white smoke out??? If this is the first start up or close enough to the first startup, you might just be burning off coolant that was left in the cylinders.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

How long has it been blowing the white smoke out??? If this is the first start up or close enough to the first startup, you might just be burning off coolant that was left in the cylinders.

white smoke seems to be gone after settin for a while.... so i guess it was just **** burning off... i think i have a lot of rust in my coolant passage... like hte lower tube from the radiator to the water pump has some kind of **** it in.. when i gentle squeeze it i can feel lumpy build up... and it warmed up to normaly oberating times in about 3 mins according to hte thermestate on the dash... it was in the middle on the stock thermo so that has me thinking that hte coolant is goin to have a problem.... also ive pump a good about og coolant in there and i sitll ahve a low coolant light??? would feeling it up with water really hurt it.... i need to clean the hell out of it newayz so idea hate to spend moeny on anti-freeze that will just be trash and replaced once i get it running well... and the stuff we had was older... i was goin to use it to try and break the nasty **** up so it would drain out better.. the nasty **** being a rusty type of grit in the fluid that will settle out over time and its likda redish and gunky... im pretty sure its rust
Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Is there anywhere around you that can do coolant flushes? If you lived closer I'd do one for the cost of the coolant.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Is there anywhere around you that can do coolant flushes? If you lived closer I'd do one for the cost of the coolant.
what does a coolant flush consist of... i mean i was just goin to do it in the drive and i put it in buckets and take it to the woods dig a big a$$hole and pour it in there..... the woods is the lowest most point in the area so contaminating water supplies isnt something thats goin to happen.... and i bearing it so low the only aninamls i know of that might get to it are the moles but they tear hte hell outta our yard so i dont mind if they die
Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I use a BG machine to do coolant flushes. Pour in the BG coolant system cleaner, let the motor run and warm up. When the motor is warmed up, you flip a switch and the machine pushes new coolant in to the system and forces old coolant into a container. I'll also throw in a bottle of water wetter.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:00 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

I use a BG machine to do coolant flushes. Pour in the BG coolant system cleaner, let the motor run and warm up. When the motor is warmed up, you flip a switch and the machine pushes new coolant in to the system and forces old coolant into a container. I'll also throw in a bottle of water wetter.
im not sure of nething like that around hear... which kinda sux cuz i need do something like that... i got some radiator flush stuff i was reading thru it the main thing it helps to clean is rust so once i get it to a decent point i was goin to pour that in
Old 06-03-2007, 01:12 AM
76stangalang87
2nd Gear Member

what kind of paint did you use on the headers that might be part of whats burning off

Quick Reply: more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i