5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:25 AM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i

Make sure the plug wires are not crossed(like stated above) that will make a popping sound sometimes.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:03 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: more question about whats wrong with the car.... i just got done with the h/c/i

ORIGINAL: 76stangalang87

what kind of paint did you use on the headers that might be part of whats burning off
is some duplicolor high temp paint... it is rated up too 1200* so i dont think thats whats smoking... i could be wrong tho... but i mean its not smoking nemore so im kidna htink it was just hte head gaksets melting like some1 said above.... the poping is also go and the wiring plugs were rite... i think for the most part its work out ok enough to turn it over to my budy to tune it... i think hte rest of it is mostly computer issues more htan nething else... im goin to but hte hood and and tail lights on and take in out for a spin tomorrow morning b4 i go to work and see how it does... i may pay with the timing a lil but not much.... and i need to get more coolant in there... or at least more water... says its low even tho ive put a a gallon of anti freeze and a gallon of distialed water in there.... i dont htink its leaking tho... i think it was just a few lil things that were hte problem... like needed torque down the upper intake more and the EGR tube was layin in a box in my run instead of on the car... so that can cuz problems lol... and the smoke is all gone so it must not be to big a deal cuz i sitll ahve some raditor fluid in there for sure i know i need mroe but i dont htink i had a leak or nething.... thanks for the help and all... i am goin to tinker with it tomorrow and as long as it doesnt get worse im goin to try to get it dyno tuned sometime next week
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 AM
90GTDan
1st Gear Member

Did you have a bad head gasket before? If so then it will take a while to burn the coolant out of the exhaust system. It sounds like a typical fresh start, everything painted smokes like crazy, water that got into the exhaust burns out and your generally paranoid for the first 10-15 minutes cause the thing is smoking like crazy. Been there and done that multiple times.

If there is any doubt at all of the amount of coolant in your engine then put more in until you know for certain it is full. Killing an engine because of a lack of coolant is a bummer, so don't let it happen to you. The crap you felt in your lower hose is a spring or coiled wire placed in the hose to keep it from colapsing due to the suction of the water pump.

On a side note, in 10 years as a mechanic I have never heard of a head gasket melting, if your head gasket melted its cause your car caught fire. lol
Old 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90GTDan

Did you have a bad head gasket before? If so then it will take a while to burn the coolant out of the exhaust system. It sounds like a typical fresh start, everything painted smokes like crazy, water that got into the exhaust burns out and your generally paranoid for the first 10-15 minutes cause the thing is smoking like crazy. Been there and done that multiple times.

If there is any doubt at all of the amount of coolant in your engine then put more in until you know for certain it is full. Killing an engine because of a lack of coolant is a bummer, so don't let it happen to you. The crap you felt in your lower hose is a spring or coiled wire placed in the hose to keep it from colapsing due to the suction of the water pump.

On a side note, in 10 years as a mechanic I have never heard of a head gasket melting, if your head gasket melted its cause your car caught fire. lol
ok that gives me a little more coffendence.... the smoke seems to have sttopped some i guess it was just everything burning off... i gotta play with the timing a lil and see what it does but i think as a whole its as good as its goin to get until i get a tune.... i put a custom cam in and its an sn95 and they dont like cams to much so i think it will run crappy until its got a nice tune under its belt..... but at least its driveable now.... thanks for all the help fellas i was really worried for a day or so lol freaking out is more like it but still thanks for hte help
Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

what h/c/i did u do what heads? cam?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

its a custom setup... i got my lower cobra intake ported a lil the upper is the same... the cam is a custom cam from cam shaft innovtaion... then i have my gt-40 heads ported and polished 5 angle valve job with larger valves that are stainless and under cut....