5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

traction

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: traction

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

ORIGINAL: cassidymustang

what does the GTO have to do with this.
Get some good tires!!
he said he has one.....[&:]
with traction control off i can get pretty decent acceleration without spin wet or dry. yes i can easily get it sideways with and without TC but it seems to be a little more gas pedal friendly.
i'm running the pony wheels on the stang. as far as tires yes they are cheap not a great set but they are basically new (when i bought the car a month ago) i'm really looking more into suspension upgrades more than tires for right now. since many people are saying tires, what's a nice set for the 16 inch pony rims? i'm looking more into autox than drag strip. i've got a dragqueen already
Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

Toyo and Yokohama make some really good all season tires that give good performance as well. Look into getting some quality rear lower and upper control arms ,since this will help out with traction and handling. Panhard rod, quality shocks/struts, subframe connectors, strut tower brace , k-member brace, will all help to since car will handle better due to less flexing and improved grip. All of these parts can be had fairly cheap and work great on afox-body mustangs IMO.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

i am wanting something that's not all season. i'm in charleston sc, it doesn't really deem more than a summer tire for year round driving.[8D] thanks for the info. sorry if i keep coming up with new details but many things i forget to think about. i'll look into toyo and yokohama tires.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

245/50R16 Yokohama ES100's...you won't be disappointed!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

road racing suspension + regular street radials = no traction especially in a straight line.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

ok i'm going to get some tires. does anyone know anything on fuzion ZRi?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 PM
swalker332

i had them before, but now i have goodyear eagle f1 gs 225/55R16 and i love them the grip around turns and i also have eibach pro systems plus suspension kit for my stang and i love it. here the link to the suspension kit if interested.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 06-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

with your GTO there is something in the PCM that is called torque management. i know cause i tune those motors. the torque management limits alot of things so the motor doesnt rip apart teh car

as for traction, suspension is key and good tires.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

with your GTO there is something in the PCM that is called torque management. i know cause i tune those motors. the torque management limits alot of things so the motor doesnt rip apart teh car

as for traction, suspension is key and good tires.
torque management has been tuned out as well as cags. honestly the before and after effects of removing tm were none. it's more apparent on the automatics than the manuals or at least that's what i have been told but i can honestly say that torque management is a load of bull. the car is no faster or any more powerful without it. i ride 95% of the time with the tc off rain or shine cold or hot. honestly the tire width between the two is almost identical 225 on the stang and 235 on the goat. i've yet to dyno the stang but on the goat i was putting 317/319 to the ground on a mustang dyno.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

wasnt aware of your GTO being a manual. it helps with abuse so ppl dont ruin the motors cause there are some idiots out there. also idiots out there can kill the trans

also your GTO is heavy compared to the stang. a stang makes its power downlow were the LS series motors make its power up top

Quick Reply: traction