5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i need some help from you auto tranny gurus

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 04:58 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i need some help from you auto tranny gurus

wow u got the same problem, IM NOT ALONE! lol
Old 12-31-2004, 07:02 AM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

its not usually reccomended since it provides no gains with a functioning tranny usually, but shift it manually if it's not working right. if it wont drop a gear, pop that sucker down into 2
Old 12-31-2004, 10:26 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

kids
Old 12-31-2004, 12:52 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfan20

Bobby[] u stole my post, anyways i have that same proablem, execpt, even at wot it will shift into third at like 3200 rpm, its really pissing me off, coz my buddys rs camaro (305) shouldn't be able to touch me, yet he walks from me due to lame shifting :*(

peace
ted
I'm not saying this is the best fix in the world for all these problems, but if you adjust the TV cable to increase the internal tranny pressure if will stay in each gear longer at WOT and the shifts will be firmer also. Of course you should drain the tranny and change the fluid and filter first just to get some fresh fluid and a clean filter in there also, it never hurts to do this. also like trannyman said, make sure the TV cable is properly attached to the throttle linkage at the throttle body, those bushings can break or even fall out which happened to me one night at the track. thought I'd blown the tranny as it would not shift correctly and it was dark and I couldn't see too well, so I limped home with it and the next day inspected it and found the TV cable laying loose on top of the passenger side valve cover. I rigged up a temporary fix until I could get a new bushing from the Ford dealer and it ran fine again. To adjust the TV cable, carefully pry it out of the bushing with a large flat bladed screwdriver so it hangs loose from the throttle linkage. the cable goes through a plastic block about 1/2" square and is held in place by a white plastic lock thing which you can push loose from the bottom side with a small screwdriver. before you do anything, take a sharp knife and scribe a mark on the cable where it exits the plastic block as a reference mark so you can put it back to this position if you don't like the adjustment you make. once you have made this mark, carefully push up the little white locking tab but don't knock it all the way out of the block and lose it and you can pull the cable out toward the front of the car some and then push the locking tab back down to hold the cable in the new position. reattach the cable to the throttle linkage and take the car for a test drive. you should see the tranny stay in gear longer at WOT before it shifts into the next gear. when I adjusted mine all the way out as far as it would go (about 1/4" past the scribe mark) and still allow the locking tab to go back in and lock, the WOT shifts occurred at 4,500 rpm and were real crisp too. you should also know by now that the AOD will not shift into overdrive at WOT also. you have to lift slightly once you wind out third gear and then it will go into overdrive and you can get back on the gas if you're trying to make a full speed highway run to see how fast the car is. the AOD also uses a secondary input drive shaft which is splined into the front of the torque converter so that when it is in third gear and overdrive it is locked to the engine and there is no slippage of the converter possible. this improves the gas mileage a bit but it also means you lose the torque multiplication provided by the converter when you go to third gear, so the acceleration in third gear will not feel near as good as it does in 1st and 2nd gear. hope this helps you guys out some, try the adjustment, you will like it!
Old 12-31-2004, 03:12 PM
fordfan20

Mine doesn' have second gear option, 1st, D, OD thats it :*(

peace
ted
Old 12-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bobby

well
im 15, i want to do a tranny flush asap, trannys got 110k on it, been serviced one, im gonna do a flush and see if it helps, if not, im just gonna save up and get it all beefed up for high horspower way down tha road thanks!
After sleeping on your problem for awhile, you may have a broken spring in one of the accumulators. This is a very common problem i've seen. You don't have to pull the valvebody out to check, you'll just need a pair of snap ring pliers. Drop the pan and you'll see a round plug near the pan rail towards the front of the trans on the drivers side. Pull the snap ring out and drop out the accumulator and spring. That spring has probably broken into several pieces.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:55 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

wow! your sure know what your talkin about, lol. thanks a lot man! ill check it out i dont really drive the car at all now, but once i get my license ill check it all out, thanks for the help !
Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfan20

Mine doesn' have second gear option, 1st, D, OD thats it :*(

peace
ted
I know, that's the main problem with the Ford AOD tranny when it comes to driving in snow and icy weather. Even my race tranny with a full mnaual valve body will not go into second gear until there is a load on the tranny from driving it in first gear. found this out the hard way when I first installed it and had it up on a lift trying to adjust the linkage, could not get 2nd gear no matter what I did, finally called the tranny place and they told me there had to be a load on it before it would shift into second and acted like I should ahve known that too! Pissed me off to say the least after messing with it for a full day!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:24 AM
fordfan20

Ok kids, I looked under the hood today, the kick down cable is broken off. Now I was talking to my buddys dad, he says that once the kick down breaks off, and you drive it with out the linkage, that the trannys shot someone please tell me this is false, or this will most likely be the end of my mustang, will proably take it back, and get some sort of beater gas millage car.

peace
ted
Old 01-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

Depends on how long it has been driven like that. Is the cable broken? or just the bushing? If it's just a bushing, you can throw 5 bucks at it and see what happens. But, yes if that has been off for awhile it will burn up the tranny.

Quick Reply: i need some help from you auto tranny gurus