5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

frustrated!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default frustrated!!

ok so i tried mocking up my subframes getting ready to weld them up and i lifted the car on the hoist as it says. jacked up the subframe as it said. ( btw these are full length subframes with cross braces and "torque box adapters") and they are really close to lining up but theconnectors still hang a little lower the subframe itself in the rear part of the car. do i have to have these "torque box adapters" welded in first for them to work....i dont see how they go on. they are square and flat, one side flips up at a 90* angle and then on an adjacent side there is a tab that flips up at 90* angle.....any help would be great.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: frustrated!!

you shouldnt be lifting the car at all.. It must remain flat, and under its own weight.. meaning all four wheels have to be on the flat level surface
Old 06-04-2007, 01:15 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

+1. The only "lift" you want to use is one you can actually drive on so that the car supports it's own weight. And if you do use one of those, you have to make sure it is actually level.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

you shouldnt be lifting the car at all.. It must remain flat, and under its own weight.. meaning all four wheels have to be on the flat level surface
yes as adder says the car must remain on all four tires on a flat surface under itsd own waright. so that the car will sit this way when the connecters are welded in. if you lift the car the car i gaurentee that it wont be completly level or how it sits when on the ground, so the connecters wont be doin much but keeping the car "twisted" per se or how ever you weld them while lifted. so keep the car on the ground and them weld them in.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

mmmm....i kind of want to disagree with you. for two reasons. one the instructions say to do it this way. and two why would i want to fortify my body sag? i want to straighten my body out. if you have other suggestion to try and help me get these bad boys on i would appreciate it. btw its about 2 1/2 inches off without jacking up the subframe.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i drove it on to a lift and we lowered it on to jacks to level it out on the sub frame exactly how to says on the directions but the connectors dont quite mesh up correctly yet, a little off maybe about....between 1/8 and 1/4 inch would that be tolerable or is that off?. so i was wondering do i have to have those torque box adapters on? that doesnt sounds right but maybe thats what i have to do. i dunno.....

i have never done these before so if this is still wrong just tell me.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

mmmm....i kind of want to disagree with you. for two reasons. one the instructions say to do it this way. and two why would i want to fortify my body sag? i want to straighten my body out. if you have other suggestion to try and help me get these bad boys on i would appreciate it. btw its about 2 1/2 inches off without jacking up the subframe.
bring them to a speed shop and get them put on properly

mine were done on a body shop frame machine... so I know my **** is straight
Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ok, i guess i will have to shell out some cash for this one. oh well guess you cant do everything yourself. hahaha. thanks guys
Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i just called a local shop, he said 80 bucks installed....is that a good price?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

never thought of using a body shop frame machine..

i still got my subframes sittin in my room waitin to go on...
hmm..

Quick Reply: frustrated!!