5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Step by step installing speedo cable 91?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Default Step by step installing speedo cable 91?

Does anybody have the experience and maybe some step by step instructions on how to replace the speedo cable in a 1991 LX? The only real help would be getting more info on the dash and cluster end of things. Any pictures would be great!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Step by step installing speedo cable 91?

you unbolt the whole cluster housing, and then the cluster and then remove the old cable, feed it through the firewall and remove it from the car...then feed in the new cable, reconnect it to the rear of the speedo, reinstall the cluster and the cluster housing, and connect the other end of the cable to the speed sensor in the tranny
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Just ordered the cable from Dallas Mustang so for sure it will be this weekends project! Do I take all of the knee and staring wheels covers off as well? How far out does the cluster need to be? Do I attach new cable from below or on top of the cluster?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

not sure what you mean by - "Do I take all of the knee and staring wheels covers off as well?" but you have to take the housing that has the light switches and what not in it off to get to the cluster, and then you gotta pull out the old cable...prolly the best is to disconnect the old one and pull it out into the bay, and then install the new one through the bay, so it comes into the car and its prolly gunna be a pain to get the cable in, i disconnected all the electrical so that it was easier to work with the cable which i thought was the easiest way to do it, because the electrical wires to the tach and what not arent that long and they are wrapped up with other wires so if you can discinnect the connectors you should be able to get the cluster out and work with it easier
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

That answers my questions...In other words, time, patience and some skinned knuckles.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 AM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

yea a definite on the skinned knuckles man, when i did the cable and new speedo in my 85 stang, man were my hands torn up..it was a total pain..and it definitely helps if you have a second person help you out and have a flashlight or something handy because its kinda hard to see the cable and feed it through the firewall and everything
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Cable arrives tomorrow and the work beings tomorrow PM...Old cable is all removed from the tranny. I hacked it at the header. I will dis assemble the dash and cluster tonight to get a start and the balance of the job will be like you said, feeding though the firewall into the back of the speedo. Is there any trick on how to get the cable out of the speedo. I understand there is a white clips you squeeze, turn and pull?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

yea getting it off is a pita, i just broke the white clip that holds it in, it was easier than trying to get it out, and since you wont be using the old one, no need to keep it
Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Mine was easy to get off. It has a tab to press that releases it. I also had my gauge cluster off, though.

I started at the tranny end, removed the cable from the VSS, then unscrewed the brackets that hold it. Then, when I went to the dash side, I just pulled it through to the inside of the car. Getting the old one out wasn't too bad (other than the dash crap), but putting the new one in took a little more patience.