5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

SUCCESS!!!!!!! PRIMING AN ENGINE BEFORE FIRST START

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: PRIMING AN ENGINE BEFORE FIRST START

Above sorta the camshaft thrust plate, at about the 10 o clock 12 and 2 o clock positions there's three holes that are the front ends of the lifter gallery(there should be screw in plugs in the back of the block) and they MUST be plugged, they're like freeze plugs, only about 1/2" dia. If any 1 is left unplugged, you won't have oil pressure. They're there because when the blocks are cast, they drill holes from front to back to create the oil pathways that run the length of the blockfor the lifters/cam bearings. To close it back up you need to plug it. If your's aren't plugged then fix it before you start it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:11 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

this is when I wish people could or would take pics[&:]
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I recently primed my new 306, got an old distributor, stripped it to just a shaft, chuck in cordless and set to reverse, less than 5 seconds and I had 20 psi. If you did that and are not getting oil pressure, you may have to tear it down and find out why.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

My assistant had this to say:
Oil pan was removed, the pickup was submersed in a container of oil
the drill was ran in reverse, a high volume of oil flowed through the oil filter outlet. Once the filter was installed the oil would travel up and you could see it pouring out into the timing cover (from underneath with the pan removed)
The oil in the container was sucked up in 3 or 4 seconds. The pump is definately working. The engine was assembled and ran. The gauge is reading 0 psi of oil. No oil is coming through the pushrods.

questions:
why 0 psi if it flows
does the orientation of the lifter matter? it has a little oil hole on the side but no indication if it goes up or down. I put them in with the holes facing up.
is there a test to determine if the fault lies in the cam bearings?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

You may have to rotate the engine to align the camshaft oiling holes.

2 slow turns of the crankshaft.
As soon as I read the kind response by creekrat and LTnone I realized my advice was wrong.

My mistake here was we are talking about a SBF and the valvetrain is not oiled by the camshaft jouranals. This is only for shaft mounted rocker engines like small and big block Dodges.

Carry on.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: piedraco

My assistant had this to say:
Oil pan was removed, the pickup was submersed in a container of oil
the drill was ran in reverse, a high volume of oil flowed through the oil filter outlet. Once the filter was installed the oil would travel up and you could see it pouring out into the timing cover (from underneath with the pan removed)
The oil in the container was sucked up in 3 or 4 seconds. The pump is definately working. The engine was assembled and ran. The gauge is reading 0 psi of oil. No oil is coming through the pushrods.

questions:
why 0 psi if it flows
does the orientation of the lifter matter? it has a little oil hole on the side but no indication if it goes up or down. I put them in with the holes facing up.
is there a test to determine if the fault lies in the cam bearings?
That definately sounds like no gallery plugs, the oil is just gushing out from behind the cam gear and with no resistance, you have no pressure. Fluids follow the path of least reistance, and 3, 1/2" holes have way less reistance than 16 lifters with pinholes in them Also, if the engine was ran, depending on how long(like, longer than a few seconds) then it prolly needs new bearings, since engines don't like to run without any pressure/lubrication
Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 AM
yellow#5

sure sounds like a oil gally plug is missing to me there are 2 behind the timing cover and one under the back of the intake all 1/2 inch prob not getting and pressure to the lifters at all
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

would anyone have a picture of these plugs by the timing cover? I pluged the three holes in the back of the block but failed to recognize the the holes in the front of the timing cover. I hope thats all that is I really do. Since the bearings were covered in assembly lube, I dont think they got damaged, I will try and upload some pictures when I take off the timing cover and see whats going on., I'll make a new thread in a couple of days with all my pictures of the build if I can figure out how to upload photos.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

the back of the block has 3 plugs right behind the flywheel. are there the same 3 plugs in the front of the engine?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

As soon as I read the kind response by creekrat and LTnone I realized my advice was wrong.

My mistake here was we are talking about a SBF and the valvetrain is not oiled by the camshaft jouranals. This is only for shaft mounted rocker engines like small and big block Dodges.

Carry on.

I'll forgive you if you let me take that Super Bee out for a spin!

Quick Reply: SUCCESS!!!!!!! PRIMING AN ENGINE BEFORE FIRST START